Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

External hard drive

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I have a Buffalo external drive model HD-PE320U2. I accidently unplugged the USB cord while the drive was being read from my computer.

Now it does not matter how many PC's or laptops I try to use the external hard drive on, they all say the drive needs to be formatted. I am worried I have lost all my data.

Is there any way I can get my stuff back?

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
If you remove the hard drive from the enclosure and install it (correctly) into a computer, you may be able to get to your data files.

If not, http://www.Ontrack.com

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Make sure to use RAW recovery. A drive asking to be formatted if its not has a corrupted MBT.

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can try testdisk...
first a little general info...
MFT... Describes all files on the volume, including file names, timestamps, stream names, and lists of cluster numbers where data streams reside, indexes, security identifiers, and file attributes like "read only", "compressed", "encrypted", etc.
MFTMirr is a Duplicate of the first vital entries of $MFT, usually 4 entries (4 KB).
TestDisk will use the MFTMirr to rewrite the MFT...
The first sector of NTFS partitions is reserved for the partition boot sector. This contains the information that allows the OS to read the partition. Without it, the partition cannot be accessed.

TestDisk Step By Step
Symptoms...If this hard disk's primary partition contained an operating system, it would most likely no longer boot up - due to its corrupted boot sector. If the hard disk was a secondary (data) drive or you can connect the drive to another computer in its secondary channel , the following symptoms would be observed:

Windows Explorer or Disk Manager displays the first primary partition as raw (unformatted) and Windows prompts: The drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?