Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, my computer keeps turning off...

• Please log in to reply

Paulos

Paulos

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi all,... having major computer troubles. I had a Dell, a good one too, and then last night I turn it off... today I wake up, and it no longer turns on no matter what I do.

I had a spare Dell and Emachines, and I placed my hard drive into the actual Dell... and after that ENORMOUSLY long ordeal, then... a problem rose just now, as it begins turning off non stop... I turn it on, it turns off in 2 minutes, or 4 minutes, or even 10 minutes... I just do not understand it... URGH! My computer has no viruses/malware/spyware/etc ... I have no idea why this is now happening on a DIFFERENT computer! The hard drive is fine also, the older Dell was just overly used... why could it be turning off over and over? It's a Dell slim... well I'm sure I'll provide more information later when I get some responses... well anyway thank you all.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You cannot take a hard rive from one computer and put it in another computer and expect it to function as normal. It will not, as the hard drive was originally commissioned to work with the Bios and chipset drivers etc from ONE computer and will not work with another UNLESS EVERYTHING is just the same.
If you had slaved it to the other computer and then accessed it as such that would be OK and you could then have copied ALL your personal data to the other drive in case this one was ready to crash.
You could NOT have copied the programs etc, in the normal course of events you would need the installation CD for the programs to put those back on the drive, IF you have to do a fresh installation of Windows.
That all said, WHEN YOU SAY it does not turn ON - do you mean it will not load Windows, OR there are no beeps, lights or anything, when switched ON.
Please provide details of the computer, the one that would NOT turn ON. ie: model and service tag.