Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

product not Windows Logo test causes problems

• Please log in to reply

everlearnin

everlearnin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

I am running XP Professional Sp3 with BitDefender Internet Security 2009 on HP laptop.
Recently I tried to setup wireless network. I ran Network Setup Wizard, during the process a “Hardware Installation” dialog box pops up. Stating:

“The software you are installing for this hardware
BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport
has not passed Windows Log testing…”

It also warns that “installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system…” Either of the two options “Continue Anyway” and “STOP Installation” seems to have the same effect, which is nothing immediately. However after running the Network Setup Wizard and making my way through a barrage of these dialog boxes (I tried both options), I was unable to connect to my router. After several reboots I am occasionally am able to connect my router, but most of the time not!

Moreover, I am also running Internet Information Service (IIS). Since I did the above, the server asks me to authenticate with a username and password (now it simply tells me I am not authenticated an blocks my local web site). I tried to “Set Permissions…” for my default website during the process the same dialog box appears. Here I also tried both options.

I have uninstalled IIS and reinstalled twice and it still gives me this authentication issues. I switched of all possible Windows Firewall settings nothing works, that is why I think it could be this NDIS Filter!

I am mostly concerned about getting my IIS working!

Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thanx in advance!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try System Restore:

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

everlearnin

everlearnin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yea... that was the first thing I tried, but I'll try again!

everlearnin

everlearnin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried two System Restores still my problem persists!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Hmmm... Try a "Repair Install"?

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

Scroll down to the "Method 2: Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD" section.

everlearnin

everlearnin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I do not have my Visual Studio cd at hand (the most important app on my pc) so I wan't to avoid repair installation or any thing of that nature.

everlearnin

everlearnin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
After the last restore when I tried to set the access permission to my local web site using the "Permissions Wizard" it no loger pops up the Hardware Installation dialog box. As it turns out the reason my server asks me to authenticate is because the directory were the default website is store's NTFS permissions did not allow Web Sharing. I think it might have been BitDefender that changed the setting. I changed the settings to what they must be, and now everything is working the way it should!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Excellent! Thanks for letting us know the problem's been solved. :)