Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vaio PCG-V505AP upgrade compatiblity

• Please log in to reply

sdwells

sdwells

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I am new to the possibilitys of upgrading. I have, given the appropriatet part, fitted prosecessors and fans etc, but I have not the first clue about compatiblity and so I hope that you good folk here can help me!

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-V505AP, a few years old now and outdated. I do not have the cash to spend £1'500-£2000 on a new one,this is a like for like price I am told, so an aquintance of mine suggested upgrading the proseceor, hard drive and RAM to enable me to do a bit by bit build and bring it up to a much better performance level and of course I would not need to find £1'500.

The computers current RAM is 700 and something MB consisting of one part 500 and somethig and the other 200 and something. I thought, if I change the 200 part to a 500 part I would then have about GB of RAM in total and can look for the same 500 part that is already in and so eliminate any compatibility issues. I hope that made to sense!

The problem occours with the prosesser and hardrive. I know that generaly prosessors fit the given slot and that the 'bus' must be correct for the computer. As for the hard drive I know there are two types with different connections, I thnk this one is IDE but have not looked.

All that said, I would like to know how I can identify compatible parts ie, will an Intel core prosersser fit and would I need duo or solo? Also, will I get better perfomance and be able to bring this old friend up to a more moden speck?

As a far what I do with my computer goes, I use it for: very large documents with graphics: High res pictures, scanning, photoshop, printing: General suffing of the net: Quite a bit of a music libry and I am a demon when it comes to Diner Dash!

Any thoughts on the above would be very greatly appreicated although perhaps my Diner Dash habit is best left under the rug!

Kind regards,

Simon

P.S. I am afriad my spelling is appalling (thats not right is it?) so please forgive me, I appologise if it gives offence.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.
Since this is a laptop your options to upgrade are very limited to not much more then the ram and the hard drive.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your labtop takes PC2100 memory stick and can take a maximum of 1024 mo so you would need 2 x 512mo of PC2100 labtop memory modules.

Your hard drive should be with the IDE interface

As for your processor I could not find anywhere if it is upgradable or not.

sdwells

sdwells

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you to both of you, your comments were most helpfull.

Kind regards,

Simon