Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reboot while playing games

• Please log in to reply

Acidloop

Acidloop

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, I have come to these forums in search of a long awaited answer. I have batted with my pc for over 3 months in regards to it rebooting while playing games. It is my understanding it is a very frequently asked question, I just ask of your patience and help.

For a while, my pc would restart after playing a game for after 1 hour or even longer, sometimes 6 hours then a reboot. Currently though, it has returned to the 2 minutes than reboot. I have recently tried to follow previous instructions other memebers have offered for this problem.

http://www.geekstogo...e....html&st=15

Here it goes:

Display

ASUS RADEON 9600SE - Secondary [Display adapter]
RADEON 9600 SERIES [Display adapter]
Acer AL1916W [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 6290A3DD4010, July 2006)

Memory

512 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DDR 1' has 512 MB
Slot 'DDR 2' is Empty
Slot 'DDR 3' is Empty

Processor

1.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded

Circut Board

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V600 REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V600 ACPI BIOS Revision 1006 11/12/2003

I have recently booted into safe mode, and removed CCC and display driver. I allowed system to install video controllers at start up and returned to the game. I'm trying to play which is a Return of Warrior (it's a MMORPG). Yes, I have the required specs to play it.

What I don't get is, why out of nowhere would my pc return to rebooting every 2 minutes. I did for some time, experience longer than 3 hours at a time without a reboot.

Any additional information that will help you understand the situation, please let me know. I'm on stand by -_-

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfanpic.JPG
  • crashes.JPG

Advertisements

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
SpeedFan is outdated try this. Does you PC shutdown as in shut OFF or just restart?
Download and install hwmonitor
and see what the temps etc are....take a reading when not running the game CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them.

Then run the game for 30min or so and take another reading post the results

Edited by Bonk, 12 May 2010 - 10:14 AM.

Acidloop

Acidloop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
What do you mean by shut off? When I enter the game, it lasts for about 2 minutes even less now -__- then blinks out and restarts and the usual system has recoverd from a serious message appears.

Here is the reading I got from the program you suggested.

I tried to get it run while in the game, but I didn't even have enought time to tab out before it restarted.

Attached Thumbnails

• temps12.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
512 megs of memory is minimal by todays standards for any system running XP, Vista or Win 7
This may have worked in the past but as you add programs and you autoruns increase you have less free memory to work with.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Voltages and temps are well within acceptable ranges.
Your crashes seem to be related to your ATI driver and to your OS. I see you uninstalled ATI and reinstalled so try this to work on OS itself.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
So last time you reinstalled a driver for your video card and it worked......have you tried that again yet?

and is it just one game or all games?

Is your video card a plug in one?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Yes, I have the required specs to play it

do you have the minimum or the recommended...whats the wattage for your psu and how old is it

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Probably a PSU issue. Try updating your video card drivers. Also, as happyrock asked, please provide the wattage of your PSU.

Acidloop

Acidloop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Voltages and temps are well within acceptable ranges.
Your crashes seem to be related to your ATI driver and to your OS. I see you uninstalled ATI and reinstalled so try this to work on OS itself.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

The Chcdsk did not work. I played for about 5 minutes this time, then reboot. As for the wattage of my PSU:

MODEL No:465PS
AC INPUT:115/230V -,7A4A4,47 -63Hz
DC OUTPUT: 456W <--- this the wattage ?

Are there any more viable reasons, besides the already mentioned? I did do the mememory scan, I probably will end up buying a gig or so.

Acidloop

Acidloop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
UPDATE: PC contained neon light, which I took out. Also, I re-positioned one of the fans underneathe the video card, which seemed to make a small improvment.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The Chcdsk did not work.

what do you mean by this...

Advertisements

Acidloop

Acidloop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I meant to say, I performed the Chcdsk /r and let it run for a couple hours. When it was done, I retuned to the game and had the same recurring problem.

Go to

Start and then to Run

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it.
This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

Edited by happyrock, 13 May 2010 - 07:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
512 Memory
Under powered PSU with voltage issues.

DC OUTPUT: 456W <--- this the wattage

Interested in the winlogon log also.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have you tried to uninstall your video card and reinstall it? Install new Radeon drivers without the Catalyst Control Center.

Do you have any kind of PCI cards or anything installed as well? Based on the info you've provided, your setup only requires about 180W of power to operate.

Acidloop

Acidloop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I have uninstaled and reinstalled the drivers numerous times. Would would happen if I ignored the the driver installation upon a reboot, and instead installed a downloaded version of the driver without installing the CCC. Know what im getting at?

As for the log after the Chcdsk /f here is the log:

Is what your looking for?

Attached Files

Edited by Acidloop, 13 May 2010 - 01:22 PM.