Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Boot Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

Keivaic

Keivaic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a KV8-MAX3 MoBo with a 1TB Toshiba hard drive attached to the sata ports. I have been using this drive as storage for awhile now on my IDE based windows install. I went to switch to the sata drive for windows and have run into a problem. I can get windows installed(the dos like portion) the copy of windows i have has my sata drivers included, its just after that portion I can't get into the next portion, IE the sata drive wont boot.

after quite a bit of research around the web I have eliminated a few things, and learned some as well.
the MoBo has 2 sata controller. a SiliconImage 3114 SATA and a VIA controller.
I know which ports on the MOBo are which controller.
only the Silicon Image controller sees the drive.
The Via controller sees my SATA DVD Burner just fine, and is used for the install of windows.
I understand how to switch the boot order in my bios from one controller to the other or to ide.
again my copy of windows has the sata drivers included in the package.

So i can get windows temp files copied to the drive and then the system reboots, after all the bios settings are right i get to a screen where the SiI controller lists the drives, which it does and shows my Toshiba as device 0. and thats it, the only keyboard input that does anything is ctrl-alt-del. the screen says to hit F$ or CTRL-s to enter utlity but that does nothing. i have waited over 30 mins at this sceen as well just to see if something would happen.

one more problem, I dont have access to a floppy drive.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I would look towards your memory modules (ram), XP installs the temp files on them before installing XP on your drive, maybe it freezes at that screen because it cannot get the files it needs from your ram to continue the installation process.

Unless i am wrong but i do not think you need special drivers to install XP on a sata drive, you may need sata raid drivers if you are trying to use a raid array but just to simply install XP on a sata drive should be the same procedure as with a Pata (IDE) drive.