Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't send email

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I am running XP SP3. I use Thunderbird. My ISP is Verizon FIOS broad band. I have an email account at a university. I set up my email and everything worked well for over a year. For several months I have had some trouble sending to AOL email addresses. Yahoo also became a problem, but I don't think it was consistent. This past weekend I discovered that I could not send email, either directly or as a reply, to ANYONE. I still can use the university's web mail access to my email and it works, both incoming and outgoing, but it is inconvenient and I like, and am used to, Thunderbird, and Thunderbird has more capabilities. I called the HELP desk at the university. They noted that on Thursday Verizon did something, somehow related to a SPAM protector, that is causing havoc. They tried to help by having me switch the outgoing server to Verizon, having me set up a Verizon Yahoo account to verify the outgoing server and we tried changing the PORT to 587 from the default 25. Nothing worked. They said call Verizon. Verizon was no help and in fact was upset that I use the university's email.

HELP - I would like a solution

Edited by jsaklas, 12 May 2010 - 01:36 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
AOL is slowly cocooning its users into its own little world, they are known to simply block everything from known spam domains. Just another reason why people just should stop using them, otherwise you'll end up with lots of online friends that all just happen to have AOL addresses.

As to the email, a lot of providers will insist that you can only send outgoing email through them when you're connected to them.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Neil,

Thanks for the quick reply. For the outgoing server I did use: outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net and not the university's, but I still can't send email from the university email. This is the typical Catch 22 (I had a similar problem between Verizon and Linksys, each saying the other was the problem when I had difficulty with a wireless connection.)where A says it's B's fault and B says it's A's fault.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
But the point remains, if you're not on the university network you may not be able to send while you're not on it. Likewise for the ISP. Check with the IT department.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Thanks for the reply. but my problem has been resolved.

I was getting an error message from the outgoing mail server that the address was not "verified." It then gave a Yahoo URL to check.

I pursued this previously, but got nowhere. This time, however, whereas the instructions I got from the Yahoo URL was geared to the Yahoo Classic webpage, when I entered my Yahoo page it defaulted to a "new" webpage. I found, however, a button to get to the classic style page. Once there, the instructions led me to verify the university address as valid. So for now it is working.

Hopefully this thread will help someone else.

Thanks again for your time.