Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem With Modem PC/Activity (Please Help)

• Please log in to reply

Phase2

Phase2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I hope someone here can help me--I feel like pulling my hair out. Okay, I have two computers in my home. The "main" computer, and a second one used by someone else. Both computers share the same internet line. I use a router connected to the main PC, and network card in the other to keep things rolling along.

Just today I had to reinstall my OS on the main computer. Everything went smoothly. However, after reinstalling the OS, I can no longer get an internet connection on that main PC. I went through the correct procedure, and used the Wizard to make sure the PC knew I had the proper internet connection. The PC/Activity light was blinking normally, so I was extra confused.

I decided to bypass the router, and just go straight from the modem to the PC to test things out. This was how I had my PC set up for years prior to using a router. NOW I could see that the PC/Activity light was blank--no activity at all. The other four lights were solid, as they should be, but that activity light simply wasn't blinking. I went ahead and reconnected using the router, and again, the PC/Activity light once again blinked normally, but the connection still wasn't there. BTW--this entire time, I was/am able to connect to the internet with the "secondary" PC, which is how I'm writing this now. I'm able to use this since I'm home alone (and I feel like screaming a lot worse than McCauley Culkin)!

I've never had this problem in the past--the only previous problems I've had is when the cable is out completely, but nothing like this. Any idea whatsoever what this could be? I would very much appreciate your help.

Edited by Phase2, 21 May 2005 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry, I must be extra stupid today but I cannot get a picture of what you ahve for hardware or how you have it configured.
Do I have this correct:
Cable modem
Router
2 PCs
one connected to router which can get to the Internet
I have no idea what the "main" PC is connected to

How I would do it:\
cable modem: to which the router is connected: to which the 2 PCs are connected: both PC's set to DHCP

Please clarify your set up using model #s of router, cable modem, and whether both PC's have Network Interface Connections (NICs) and what they are connected to.
Thanks
Mike

Phase2

Phase2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sorry, I must be extra stupid today but I cannot get a picture of what you ahve for hardware or how you have it configured.
Do I have this correct:
Cable modem
Router
2 PCs
one connected to router which can get to the Internet
I have no idea what the "main" PC is connected to

How I would do it:\
cable modem: to which the router is connected: to which the 2 PCs are connected: both PC's set to DHCP

Please clarify your set up using model #s of router, cable modem, and whether both PC's have Network Interface Connections (NICs) and what they are connected to.
Thanks
Mike

View Post

Mike, thanks for the response:

I might be the one who is extra stupid ( ;) ), but here goes... The main PC is where both the cable modem & router are connected. The modem is a Motorola SB5100, and the router is a Belkin F5D7231-4. The second computer is in a back room, and connects wirelessly, by way of an installed network card. That computer, in the back, wirelessly connected, is the one that works. I'm using it right now. The main PC, connected directly to the cable modem and router is the one that won't work. Man this is driving me crazy.

Windows XP is installed (which I've done several times before), the firewall is on, etc, etc. I don't understand why, all of a sudden that main PC won't connect to the internet. Any thoughts? :tazz:

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

This is the easy way:\
Go to Start, Help, Networking and the WEB
In the search box type TCP/IP settings.
Set the NIC for get an IP automatically, same for DNS
Mike

Phase2

Phase2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
UPDATE: I have resolved the simple issue. I'm about to celebrate by eating some spaghetti. I shall return.

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Spaghetti is good.
Mike

Phase2

Phase2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Spaghetti is good.
Mike

View Post

Mike, (nice name by the way :tazz: ), spaghetti can even be great!

I bought my current PC just a couple of months ago, so I didn't pay much attention to the details when I recently installed another OS. As it turns out, the only thing I needed to do was install the LAN Driver. Once I realized this, and a lightbulb went off in my head, I felt like simultaneously smacking myself in the face and dancing. ;)

Phase2