Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive upgrade

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok guys I am once again shopping for hard drives.

I am looking for an external hard drive that is 2TB, and I am looking for an internal that is 1 TB. I need reliable drives because the 1TB is going to be my media drive (Video editing, music, videos ect. The 2TB is going to be my back up drive which will back up my entire computer. I was looking for some segate drives, I feel that my original drive (5 years old) has been the most reliable since WD has had a bad rap in my family (so far 2 externals have gone out). If constructing an external drive with an internal drive and enclsoure is the best way to go, I want an enclosure with good ventilation (like a fan). I was looking at new egg and I was wondering if the Roswell enclosures are decent?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I used to recommend external enclosures but personally have found they're just a hassle (literally just the extra step of installing) for most users. It's much simpler to simply "plug and play" with a complete device. I have both a WD and Seagate 500GB backup drives and they are running like a charm. The original WD drive was an "Elements" range, which was ultra-cheap, it failed and they replaced it with a My Book which hasn't skipped a beat.

You get failures in any manufacturer... As it is I've just got a 1TB Seagate 7200.12 internal drive and it's running like a charm, really good performance. I cloned my OS onto it and am now using it as the boot drive.

I've never played with any Rosewill stuff (not available from my suppliers here in Australia) but have heard lots of "cheap and nasty" comments, so I'd be careful with it.