Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Print Spooler

• Please log in to reply

dannybradleyuk

dannybradleyuk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Until recently, I had a HP printer installed on my PC, came to use it one day and the package I was using claimed that I had no printers installed. Tried to re-install the drivers from the CD and website and all I kept getting was the same RPC server is unavailable. I then went to the Print Spooler in the Adminstrative section and I noticed that it was switched to STOP. I tried to click the start button and I was told that the Specified File is missing.....PLEASE HELP..... I have also tried to re-install windows XP, but that wouldnt start either.

Advertisements

affordable

affordable

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i'm having same problem with a lexmark please let me know if ya figure it out. i've done everything but crash my computer still no luck

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, second one today....who wants to be a guinea pig?

Restart your computer into safe mode by tapping f8 when the memory counts up

Start >Run, type
regedit
enter

In the left pane, navigate to the subkey

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\LEGACY_RPCSS

select it, then on the File menu, click Export.

give it a nice name like legrpcs.reg, put it on your desktop

Now right-click LEGACY_RPCSS folder (subkey)---and ONLY THAT KEY...none of the others, click Delete, and in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box, click Yes.

Do not delete any of these
MS_L2TPMINIPORT
MS_NDISWANIP
MS_PPPOEMINIPORT
MS_PPTPMINIPORT
MS_PSCHEDMP
MS_PTIMINIPORT

Close the Registry Editor.

reboot

see if rpc is starting now