Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP "Help and Support" slow to start

• Please log in to reply

geeks2godisplayname

geeks2godisplayname

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In Windows XP, the Help and Support Center is slow to start. I've seen this question posted a zillion times at various websties and forums and no-one seems to have the right solution. I say no one, but that isn't correct. Actually I saw the correct solution posted one time, but didn't have the time to make full note of it. The correct solution has to do with obtaining an older Version of one of the IE7 or IE8 dll's.
When I first installed IE7 (and this applies to IE8 also), the Help and Support Center started up just fine, may be within 10 seconds. After a while I made some upgrade or installed some new program, I don't remember which, and then noticed that Help and Support was excruciatingly slow to load.
Sometimes people have a similar problem that Help and Support won't load at all. This is a different problem and there are solutions readily available on the internet. Furthermore, some people may mistakenly believe that the Help and Support isn't loading at all because it simply takes so long. For example, on my computer it takes 40 seconds. But it isn't broken, it just takes long to load.
Recommendations on the internet include:
1] install another browser such as opera or firefox. That's ridiculous, if I had a malfunctioning part on my car I wouldn't run out and buy another car; I'd fix the car.
2) reinstall Help and Support or even reinstal Windows XP. Tried this, it doesn't resolve the problem.
As mentioned above, I actually found on the internet a long time ago, a description of a specific dll that is causing this problem. Apparently reinstalling IE7 (or 8) doesn't replace the troublesome dll.
OK, I've given half the answer. Now someone give the rest of it. What is the specific dll and VERSION that is needed to get IE to work speedily again?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

OK, I've given half the answer. Now someone give the rest of it.

Is this a request for help or a challenge.
Do any programes also take a long time to load.
How is Control Panel and My Computer.
Clean boot into XP and then see how long Help and Support take please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 May 2010 - 03:16 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Help and support connects to the internet everytime you start it to check if any updates were made to its knowledge base so maybe it is having problems connecting.