Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Limited or No Connectivity...help

• Please log in to reply

shellos8

shellos8

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm new here, been searching all over the internet (from work) to find out what is wrong with my computer. I've come to learn more about computers than I ever thought I would need to know. lol

Anyway, on 5/1/10, my desktop computer was working fine and I left it on sitting there alone for a couple of hours and when I got back to it it had gone black. I eventually managed to get it to start up but had lost the internet connection. I get the "limited or no connectivty". I cannot renew my IP address. I've tried everything.

Looked at the event log for 5/1 the very first error at 2:16pm (when I was not at the computer) is TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts".

2:18pm
The SmartLinkService has reported an invalid current state 0.

2:25pm
Application popup: Security Warning: Application cannot be executed. The file avwsc.exe is infected.

Application popup: Security Warning: Application cannot be executed. The file wscntfy.exe is infected.

Time???
The DHCP ClientService depends on the NetBIOS over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error: The device attached to the system is not functioning.

Time???
The DNS Client Service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error: The device attached to the system is not functioning.

So...I have since tried a lot of things. Doing cmd nbtstat -R givmes me this error: Failed to access NetBT driver--NetBT may not be loaded.

In the device manager NetBios over Tcpip is not shown in Hidden Devices.

I also did a FULL scan with Malware Bytes and it did find a lot of adware and trojan Fraudpak. I removed them. Not too long ago I also had the internet security 2010 virus. I thought I had managed to get that removed from the computer. This was about a month ago.

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3. I connect to the internet via cable modem, ethernet adapter connected directly from the modem to the computer.

I am unable to download anything since I can't connect to the internet.

I'm using a lot of terms here that I really don't understand (NetBios, TCP/Ip) and probably shouldn't have been messing around on there trying to fix it myself for the past 12 days.

I am desperate! Please help me????

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

2:25pm
Application popup: Security Warning: Application cannot be executed. The file avwsc.exe is infected.

Application popup: Security Warning: Application cannot be executed. The file wscntfy.exe is infected.

This alone is a issue that may causing all your problems. I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

shellos8

shellos8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your quick reply, but...how do I run those programs if I can't connect to the internet and download them? Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download them on the system you are using to respond now. Copy them to a flash drive or to a cdrw and then transfer them to the other system and run them. Obtain the logs from each program as requested and post in your new malware topic.