Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio Connected Wireless Network Not Connecting Internet

• Please log in to reply

Ruthy

Ruthy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello

we have just set up a new wireless network within our house - all laptops are connecting fine apart from my flatmate's Sony Vaio.

When we first had our internet set up in the house Virgin did not have a router so I liaised with somebody on the phone who took me through some things in the command prompt screen so the internet was working by connecting the ethernet cable directly to the modem. Now we have gone wireless I am in the network and sharing centre and it shows the picture of the PC, a green line connecting to the wireless which it states is unidentified then a red cross through the line that connects to the picture of the internet.

I have checked the properties of the wireless connection and the properties of the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and both obtain an IP address and obtain DNS server address automatically are selected.

Can anybody please help me to work out what is causing the problem with identifying the wireless network and connecting to the internet??

It would be VERY much appreciated!! :)

Edited by Ruthy, 13 May 2010 - 01:19 PM.

Advertisements

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Type "services.msc" in RUN command and find "wireless zero configuration" in services page and right click and Restart it.

Disable and enable wireless network and try scanning the network and connect to network.(Please mention the complete details like operating system, Make and model number of wireless router)

Ruthy

Ruthy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello

Thankyou for your reply.

We are using Windows Vista on the Sony Vaio laptop and the router is a Netgear Wireless N-300 WNR 2000.

I had a look in the services menu as you suggested and this option isn't on the list. I have had a couple of scrolls through the list and cannot see anything that even mentions wireless which seems a bit odd to me...

Ruthy