Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden Shut Down

• Please log in to reply

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i have a desktop. it was working fine yesterday.
but today when i turn it on, i encountered some problems

heres what i did:

turned on
it boot
windows xp loads
its like normal for 1-2 mins
then it jus shut down....like a blackout

i restarted like several times and same thing

i tried safe mode and system restore

HELP

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Desktop or laptop?
Brand name system and if so what make and model?
How old?
Warranty on it?
Have you ever opened it to blow out the dust bunnies with a can of compressed air?
Your issue would suggest overheating or PSU.
Reply back with requested info and then we will take the next steps?

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Desktop
Custom made system
1-2 yrs
Warranty gone
Once...really long time ago
Whats PSU?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PSU is the Power Supply Unit
OK then I need you to take the side off the system and then turn the system on.
Check the CPU fan, PSU fan, Video fan if there is one and the second case cooling fan.
The two I really am asking about is PSU and CPU.

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
both spining but dusty. should i clean?

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
theres like siliver stuff on the processor when u take off the fan from cpu...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If dusty yes clean them off.
The silver paste you refer to is thermal paste and it should be there. Is it still soft or is it crusty?
If crusty you might want to buy a little tube from a local store and clean the old stuff off. Apply about a pea size on the cpu and spread it around. Then put the fan and heatsink back on.

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
oh~ it was soft. i wiped it off already tho. cleaned the heat sink.and oh one of the things thats supporting the fan for cpu broke off. but one side can still support the fan and sink.is that a problem? i have the broke piece. should i glue it back on? cani use crazy glue? its holding the fan so should that be a problem?

after all the cleaning.problems still there. what nxt?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to make sure there is the pea size amount of thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu. That is what conducts the heat off the cpu and to the heatsink.
I don't think crazy glue will hold it well enough. A new fan should cost less then 10 USD from any computer shop. Just make sure you let them know what type of cpu as the fans vary depending on the type of cpu.
Once all completed try restarting and see if system stays going. If so then do the following.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

This will not only tell me if the system is running hot but also what the various voltages your PSU has at the time. If there is a problem hopefully it will show where.

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
the system cant stay on long enough to run the program!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets try the basics and see if it will work.
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

Also are you getting any post beeps at all and if so is it the standard one beep or are there more?
Dies the system power up and stay going now? It won't boot into windows since the hd should be disconnected at this point. It should stop and give you a message about Missing Operating system

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
so i went into BIOS and took pics for the CPU temp stuff.. not sure if thats what the software was testing

heres link to pics
BIOS PICS

imma try the instructions and post back when finish

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
whats the 20+4 powercable and 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply?

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
The temps are way too high, the processor might die on you for that. You should stop powering the machine and wait for what mr rshaffer has to say. I haven't seen those digits for a long time.

20+4 pin power cable is connected to your motherboard from the power supply, its like those colorful wires joined together with hard plastic at the end. The 4/8 pin 12v is usually colored 2 black wires and 2 yellow wires. Its basically connected to your motherboard from the power supply.

Edited by chickmazta, 14 May 2010 - 08:34 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First issue replacing the broken part from post 8 as I'm sure that is why the cpu is now overheating.
New thermal paste and a working heatsink and fan should take care of the overheating issue.
With todays CPU's they have been created with a thermal shutdown to protect the cpu from damage.
Second of all the wires coming from the PSU to the motherboard are usually the 20+4 which is the main power supply to the motherboard.
Newer boards also have the 4\8 pin onbe that would connect someplace around the cpu.
If you could respond with the make and model of the motherboard I could find the layout for you.