Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden Shut Down

• Please log in to reply

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
the attachment ... hinge....from the motherboard .. to clip on the heat sink and fan....is what is broken. is that replaceable? or jus comes with motherboard?

imma take a pic of it when i get home later + with the info for the motherboard. but the thing is my motherboard is from taiwan. is that a problem in finding the info?

Edited by h1n4t4, 15 May 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Oh thats bad cause that would mean you would have to replace the motherboard.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, do the pic. thing plus make & model of the motherboard & let's take a look to see if there is a way out.

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
R U sure i'd have to replace the whole motherboard. here are pics....

PICS for MOBO
cos the black thing attached to the motherboard looks like it can come off.

mobo is onda n68pv

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could contact the manufacturer and see if they sell the part by itself. I have never replaced the clamp down by itself but from what I see it is held in place by 4 screws.

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yea.. so thats why i thought it was replaceable. so when u buy a heatsink/fan it doesn't usually come with that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No you get just the heatsink and fan. That part is actually part of the motherboard. That is why I don't know if it can even be purchased without the motherboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You will find the heatsink retention bracket you require here;
http://www.frozencpu...tml?id=3PbQFwo7 I think yours is No 12 or 13 on the list,
I have even seen them on ebay here in the UK, good luck anyhow.

Edited by phillpower2, 18 May 2010 - 01:46 PM.

Gpops

Gpops

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sounds like heating problem. May need to clean inside especially fins on pc cooler heatsink.

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
so i took it to technician. they had to replace the motherboard. and said something abt having to replace powersupply as well cos some abt not enought power to support new mobo. does that even make sense?

okay so cos of that i need to re-install windows...charging me exorbitant to do that and a data restore. i have win xp cd so why pay for that while i paid for it back then....and i know how to install an OS.

but how do i get my data back.

so i have another desktop
flashdrive
ubuntu cd

how can i get my data back?

and how do i cehck if my system workin back...cos the system night not load since it change mobo???

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did they format the hd?
If not then what you will need to do is to reactivate windows since you have changed a major component like the motherboard.
PSU does not surprise me as being part of the issue since i believe we mentioned that earlier also.
Did they do a data backup as i'm not clear what you are saying.
If they did then you would need to now reinstall everything and then copy data back to the programs and folders it originally was in.
Since you have a XP installation cd you can do a repair installation or we may have to do a parallel installation.
Pleas explain did they format the drive or does the system simply not boot since the motherboard was installed? Does it attempt to load windows and then freezes or restarts?

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
no they did not format the system. since i do know how to re-install windows xp, why pay for that?
they will jus be replacing the mobo and power supply. they said because of that i will have to reinstall the OS and back up my data. Its cost i cant really afford now. So I'm opting to do that myself, its very much self do-able right?

the only problem now is for me to copy my files. 1. how do i do that?
2. when i go and collect my system back, how do i check if the problem is still there? cos nothing will boot right? given the problem i had......as long as it stay on even on the black screen for more than 2 minutes its should be okay right?
i have a ubuntu cd....and i boot from cd? and if it work there then it works??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
See here for backing up your files running xp; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422
Have you actually had your MB & psu changed yet? If not I would recommend
doing it yourself & save the cash for any parts you may need, why did the
tech guy say the MB needed replacing I thought you only needed to swap out
the heat sink retention bracket, there is plenty of help available here
should you decide to do the job yourself.
The psu is the 1st thing I would purchase along with the new HS bracket, if
that was the only reason they were going to replace the MB in the 1st place.
Good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you are experiencing is normal for a new mobo to be installed. The chances of losing any data is minimal but always a possibility.
I have changed mobo's in hundreds of systems and with just a simple reactivation of windows done with a phone call to Microsoft the issues were resolved. I'm not sure why they say you will have to reinstall the OS as normally a repair installation will get the OS back up and running and then reactivation would need to be done.
Do you have your XP install disk?
I'm trying to figure out if they have replaced the mobo and the psu already or does that need to be done yet?

h1n4t4

h1n4t4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yea....replacing the mobo and psu. picking it up on monday. i requested they do not do anything software wise.

so imma need help on accessing my data back on my hdd.

yes, have my xp disk.

can u do like a recovery or some sort??

i need my files back!! how do i get them back?? i dont mind re-installing the OS. But need my files back. Getting back the programs i have arent that important. but i need my files back.