Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio Problems - Can you help?

• Please log in to reply

Alias775

Alias775

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
For the past 4 months or so my audio has just up and quit for a day or so and comes back on. I've never been able to get a clue of what is causing it.

Now, it's been out for 4 days and I desperately want to hear some videos I downloaded. My speakers are working, I can hear the quiet humm when I turn them on.

I went to the XP Audio TroubleShooting. There I found out I was set up for CD Disk speakers with headphones output! My CD does not work! I quickly changed that to PC Desktop speakers. But if I was supposed to confirm that in the Device Manager, I wasn't able to.

I tried to reset everythiing to the "Intel" option, I did all it said, then when I got to the devide manager, the links that I was supposed to click on were'nt there. I have no clue where to go to from there.

I took a look at my speakers and they are named "QC Passed YZQ6". That's all it says on the back of them.

I'd love any help you guys can give me!

Thanks for your time! Alias775 :)

Edited by Alias775, 13 May 2010 - 06:32 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices. Then Audio. On device check that your Sound device ie: onboard audio or separate PCI sound card is the one shown. then Hardware and check that it is listed working properly as per my screenshot

Alias775

Alias775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you so much Macboatmaster, but I should have said in the first post that I have already been to the control panel and it does say the devise is working properly. Then, the troubleshooter tried to send me to the Device Manager for further confirmations, but the Device Manager didn't have the options that it described!

To be honest, all I know about my speaker system is what I posted in the forum. Their name and that's it. I honestly don't know whether to choose Intel or one of the Codex ones to try out.

Thanks for caring! (And no, I haven't been to any other forums!)

Alias775 :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please post details of the audio device in use on the computer - found as per my screenshot.
Going back to my screenshot, please check that the audio device is - Use this device - enabled.
Check that the soundcard is the default device and that the box - Use default device is checked.
Are the speakers amplified from a power source and is that supplying power.

If no success try this
http://fixitcenter.s...soft.com/Portal

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 May 2010 - 10:12 AM.

Alias775

Alias775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Everyone! I have a VERY INTERESTING THING TO TELL ALL OF YOU!

First my troubles with my speakers are resolved and I've very happy. But wait til you hear what it was!

The Windows XP kept sending me to the troubleshooter and I kept trying their steps each time I made an adjustment. This always involved checking the sound on this huge sort of sound motherboard.

I really hope you understand the motherboard I'm talking about. It has Bass, Treble, Mutes and Balance, and Volumes for each, ok?

Well, I was looking quickly at the motherboard for about the 4th time, when I noticed that ALL the setting switches were white with a green tips on each side on each switch (or slider).

But, on my Volume and Balance - there were no such green tips!

So, I went and changed my balance inputs and nothing happened. I went back to the motherboard and repeated set the Volume switch on high and the balance in the center between the icons of the speakers.

I rebooted the computer - AND I GOT VOLUME BACK AGAIN!

Can you believe this! Please tell all your XP people with audio problems to SERIOUSLY examine thier sound volume motherboard for those green tips. They must ALL be green tipped.

And by the way, mine is now green tipped also! It's unbelievable that this exists and is not written about anywhere!

Just wanted to tell my tale.(count my case as resolved now)

Alias775 :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased you got it working
It is nothing to do with the motherboard as such it is the Control Panel for the audio/sound system.
The name of the speakers by the way in your first post as QC is simply the Quality Control sticker I think.