Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN showing download activity with nothing open

• Please log in to reply

alienaa

alienaa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My LAN is showing that I'm receiving bytes, even with nothing open. It's sporadic, sometimes I can't get the thing to stop, but of course when I'm trying to investigate, it's not doing anything. I was using Vista's firewall, but installed ZoneAlarm, and have it approving each time a program wants to access the internet. So nothing should be talking to the outside without my consent.

There was an activity log last night, but stupid me accidentally deleted it. Some of the logged data had comcast or dynamic.dsl in the source DNS field. If I clicked the "more info" option, zonealarm told me it could just be background noise, and not to worry.

I did have frostwire & limewire on my computer. But neither was running at the time of the LAN activity. I verified this through the task manager. I don't think these programs were doing it b/c my complete/incomplete downloads weren't showing as modified during this activity. Plus, zonealarm didn't alert me to them trying to access the internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? And could limewire/frostwire have been somehow downloading data?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

There was an activity log last night, but stupid me accidentally deleted it. Some of the logged data had comcast or dynamic.dsl in the source DNS field. If I clicked the "more info" option, zonealarm told me it could just be background noise, and not to worry.

your firewall was telling the truth. with a constant connection like cable/dsl you will always have chatter on the line. if you have A LOT of information traveling back and forth (megabytes) then you've got something to be concerned with. but there will always be some form of back and forth, it's how the connection stays awake