Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broken USB connection on external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Ash1

Ash1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

I have a fujitsu handy drive, 320gb, which recently broke. I opened up the casing and connected to the hard drive itself is a connection board. This has 2 small metal connectors, into which the usb cable and power cable plug in. The usb connector has come off the board. I tried to superglue it, but it came off again. It is a mini usb connection (female i think?). The specifications say it is serial ATA-150, SATA 7-pin.

Is there a replacement cable i can buy to connect it to a pc? Or do i need to replace the whole connection board?

I have contacted the manufacturer with no success, and google hasnt helped much either.

Thanks

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Did the connection on the drive itself break? Or a board inside the enclosure? If the drive itself is fine, you should be able to use a normal SATA data cable. For power your PSU should have a the right one, if not, there are adapters. Then install the drive internally to the computer.

SATA Data Cable
Power adapter

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or you can just go out and buy a new SATA external enclosure (without the drive) and keep it as an external drive if you want to stay external. just make sure it's self powered (i.e. plugs into the wall for power) the ones that are USB powered aren't designed to be used for long periods of time at once.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
UNLESS it is the connection on the drive itself.

Ash1

Ash1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is the board itself which is broken, the drive still works fine i think. I need it to be external as i use it to transfer data. I would prefer not to have to plug it into the mains, i have lost the power lead anyway and i only use it for short time periods. Is there a cable which is sata to usb directly, or is a new enclosure the only option? Will any enclosure be ok?

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, you could try the US ebay. this is the UK ebay

http://shop.ebay.co....-All-Categories

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It would never plug directly into the main. Remember Google is your friend.

usb to SATA

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, anyone who is interested should watch this vid.

enjoy !!

Ash1

Ash1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried google but i am confused as to what is the right size, connection, etc. Some are sata to sata which is not what i want. i want to be able to plug it into a usb port like a normal external hard drive.

ps. i would love to watch that vid but im writing this on my phone

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, click on link that DIGERATI has given, second pic. in @ $8.99. thats what you require. to connect your sata disk it needs the power adapter. to see how this will work you should watch the vid. when you can.

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
or you could buy a new external sata hard drive enclosure & put your existing sata drive into it.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, your drivev is a 2.5 sata. it looks as if the best & easiest solution after searching for a cable is to buy a new enclosure.

google..2.5 sata hard drive enclosure..a new enclosure looks the cheapest bet. shouldn't be difficult to swap the drive.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
try..http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=2.5+sata+hard+drive+enclosure&_sacat=See-All-Categories

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
sorry, that didn't work. anyway, try ebay, pretty cheap

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
http://shop.ebay.com...-All-Categories