Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Choosing Parts!

• Please log in to reply

ThePr0ngz

ThePr0ngz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright so my mom want me to build her a nice computer. It won't be used for high end gaming or anything too intense, but she still wants an overall good computer. It has to come with Windows 7, at least 1TB of memory, 6GB of RAM, and she'd prefer it to have the new Intel i7 processor. She will be buying a monitor with it, but I can find that (although suggestions are welcomed). Her budget is around $1200 including the monitor, but it's alright if it goes a little over.
Any help is appreciated and I plan to purchase the parts through Newegg.

Some other smaller details:
- She'd prefer a mid-sized case, but I understand if the parts won't fit.
- She will not be using two monitors/two hard drives
- RAM should be DDR3

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Dell Studio XPS 9000
http://www.dell.com/...e...B&mo=8~1TBS

?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I'm sorry but please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way. For what you've said your mum wants the machine for:

You don't need an i7.
You don't need 6Gb of memory.
You don't need a 1Tb hard drive.

In my own opinion I see very little if any point splashing out on an i7 for something that will only primarily be used to go on the internet with. It is complete and utter sheer overkill and then some more.

Not being a user of Newegg considering I don't come from that part of the world, but a very quick perusal around it you only need something like this:

AMD Athlon II X2 245 processor ($60)
ASRock N68-S Motherboard ($45)
2Gb DDR2 Memory ($41)
DVD Writer ($19)
320Gb Hard Drive ($48)
Case is obviously personal preference but say around $25
Decent Corsair power supply ($70)

Windows 7 Home Premium, $100
20" Monitor, $130

$538, plus shipping, your sales taxes and minus any rebates.

angelicscar

angelicscar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I agree with Neil, Well you can still use it for gaming if it will also be used by some member of your family not just your mother. I can be able to play my granado espada game in that spec[as that was I am using now] and Warcraft.