Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Frequent unexpected re-boots

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That truly surprises me... :)

The only other real major error I've seen in the information you've posted is related to the video adapter. Have you installed any new video card drivers recently?

Advertisements

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I've done so much in the way of testing and looking for current drivers over the past several days I honestly don't remember if a new Nvidia driver was included. I'll try now.

Everything is still running hot. I have the side pannel back in place and now have a small fan blowing at the naked front of the PC which has a lot of vent holes. To be honest I rather like the thing with the front plastic removed because my dvd drives have been sticking on the fold down cover doors.

GPU 63C
REMOTE 49C
HDO 54C
CORE 58C

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Product Current
Installed Driver Latest Driver
Update
NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache™ 81.94 GeForce Release 197
Version: 197.45 WHQL
Release Date: April 13, 2010

I just downloaded Nvidia system tools

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try to get a more comprehensive look at what's going on in there.

Please download and run WinAudit on your machine. Save a report as shown in this Tutorial.

e-mail the report to me as an attachment. (I'll PM you with the address.)

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
WOW! That's a l-o-n-g report!

I'm e mailing it now.

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
This could be related. Either way, it's a problem that needs to be resolved:

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 - Update '.NET Framework WinForms' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\dd_NET_Framework20_Setup125B.txt. Event ID 1023

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see how it runs in Safe Mode. There seems to be a discrepancy between what Everest reports as the video driver and what WinAudit says is installed.

Restart the machine and tap the F8 key as it boots to access the Advanced Boot Options screen. Once there, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and press Enter. It will take several minutes to load. While in Safe Mode you'll be running on native Windows drivers. If the problems go away, we'll know it's likely a driver causing the problems...my guess this time is the video card driver.

The .NET Framework is probably not related to the current problem. Let's get the machine running right...then we'll see about the updates not installing.

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Alright, I'll start in "Safe Mode" - - should I try to use any applications which otherwise have been causing the crashes, especially Sony Sound Forge?

I tried to install something once while in safe mode and it wouldn't let me - something about the "administrator" (ME) blocking such actions.

Here goes...

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I ran in "Safe Mode" for nearly an hour and a half. Sony wouldn't load - I'm guessing because the appropriate drivers were inactive.

The first thing I noted was the SpeedFan

GPU 0C
CPU 0C
Ambient 37C
Remote 58C
HD0 58C
HD1 32C
Temp1 40C

After running for about twenty minutes:

GPU 0C
CPU 0C
Ambient 33C
Remote 57C
HD0 52C
HD1 29C
Temp1 40C

Current:

GPU 69C
CPU 0C
Ambient 32C
Remote 46C
HD0 52C
HD1 29C
Temp1 40C
Core 64C

It didn't crash or freeze while in safe mode. I used MS Paint for about 40 minutes doing some intricate graphic editing.

So. Do you think the Nvidia driver is the culprit? I won't touch anything until I hear from you again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yeah...I do suspect that the video adapter is involved. What we don't know is whether it's the driver or the card. Is this a separate card or is it integrated (built in to the motherboard)? It would appear to be a separate card by the report.

Advertisements

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I think the card is seperate. There are three cards attached to the motherboard, one is Sound Blaster, I assume another could be the modem so it's possible Nvidia is the third card.

By the way, after running all night here are current temps;

GPU 69C
CPU 0C
Ambient 32C
Remote 46C
HD0 51C
HD1 29C
Temp1 40C
Core 64C
Ambient 0C

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those are much better, though the core temp is still a little higher than I like to see.

Click Start, then right click on My Computer...choose "Properties".

In the System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab, then on the Device Manager button.

In Device Manager, expand the Video Adapter section, right click on your adapter and choose "Properties". Click on the "Driver" tab. Is the option to "Roll Back Driver" available?

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes. Good instructions.

I "rolled back" the Ge Force 6200 SE TurboCache to driver date: 11/4/2005, version 8.1.9.4

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!

Let me know how the machine runs on those drivers.

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Mixed review.

I turned it off and let it cool down for over an hour. When I turned it on again it froze before completing the boot.

After the second try I was able to get SpeedFan up again:

GPU 62C
CPU 0C
Ambient 29C
Remote 43C
HD0 42C
HD1 26C
Temp1 40C
Core 58C
Ambient 0C

Right now:

GPU 67C
CPU 0C
Ambient 31C
Remote 44C
HD0 50C
HD1 28C
Temp1 40C
Core 62C
Ambient 0C

You can see it's heating up pretty fast.

Do you know of a diagnostic for just the video card (hardware)? If I need to replace it how do I identify it inside - aside from pulling out each of the three cards?