Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Toshiba Satellite Sudden Shut Down

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite P305D that I bought a little over a year ago, have had no problems with it until I moved a week ago. 4 days ago I tried turning on the laptop and during boot up it made a strange noise (like a breaker tripping) and shut itself off. I checked the computer's power supply connections and turned the laptop on again and booted into safe mode. This worked fine, so after a bit I shut it off and booted normally and ran the computer for the rest of the day with no problems. The next day I booted the laptop up again and had the same problem, followed the same procedures and received the same results until in the middle of the morning the computer shut itself off with the same strange noise. After this, the computer will not stay on for longer than a minute, sometimes less. Sometimes it will shut off during the booting process and sometimes it won't turn on at all. The computer is running Vista Home Premium but I cannot tell you much more. Can someone please help me? I tried getting ahold of a couple of computer people where I live but no one has contacted me back and I need this computer for my job.

Thanks in advance!

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
It sounds to me like your processor is overheating, the processor fan and heatsink are probably full of dust and maybe the inside airflow might be obstructed.

I would suggest to open and clean it but unless you know your way around the inside a labtop you should ask someone who knows.