Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Device Installer error

• Please log in to reply

Lorna1403

Lorna1403

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Need help to fix error. When I plug in external harddrive, windows detects and says it is installed and ready to go but an error msg pops up saying "windows could not load the installer for volume.Contact your hardware vendor for assistance."
The device does not show in my computer and I cannot access the data stored.

This only happens when I try to access a new device, the thumb drive I use all the time for work is working fine.

I installed a new printer a couple of months ago and have only noticed this error since then when I use a new device, could it be related?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
You might try this:
  • Click Start > Run, type in cmd and press [Enter].

• At the cmd prompt, type in, (or copy & paste), exactly the following l-o-n-g command:

for %x in (sfcfiles syssetup storprop) do copy %systemroot%\system32\%x.dll %systemroot%\system32\dllcache /y

(and press [Enter]).

What you see should look similar to this:

Posted Image

• Reboot.
Then let us know if the problem's been solved ... or not. :)