Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

browser freezing?

• Please log in to reply

sherlock23

sherlock23

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have been having this problem for a few weeks now. I primarily use Firefox, but I have had the same problem with IE. On practically any web site that has a song, video (specifically, wmv files, though it has happened with mp3 and mpeg files), or anything embedded on it my browser will freeze up. I have the most recent version of windows media player, which may or may not mean anything.

Any suggestions/help/advice?

Thanks in advance.

-Sherlock

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Sherlock,

Tell me, do you have any spyware programs? i.e. spybot and ad-aware? If not, I suggest d/l those programs and run them.
Spyware tends to screw things up.

Good Luck!

sherlock23

sherlock23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah, I have Spybot but not ad-aware, as well as Norton Internet Security and Ewido (which I downloaded at the recommendation of another post on these forums).

I run Spybot once every few days just to be safe, but really I have no other problems than this one. Spybot doesn't seem to fix it.

Any other suggestions? :tazz:

Thanks in advance

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
reinstall IE 6.0

go into control panel and select add/remove, Click Windows Components, Un Check IE, Click OK, Reboot when it is done, now go back to windows components, and re check IE, click OK, this will re-install it.

Also, d/l BHODemon and lets see what BHOs' are running on your system
go here to get the program: http://www.softpedia.../BHODemon.shtml

I am curious as to what is causing this problem, some kinda interferance.
Have you use HJT (highjackthis).?

Edited by John_Doe, 22 May 2005 - 08:38 PM.

sherlock23

sherlock23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I will do that, but I primarily use firefox and have these problems... should I reinstall Firefox too?

Thanks again for all the help.

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Probably wouldnt hurt, but one browser at a time, make sure you can still access the intenet.

You said you use Firefox mostly, and does it do it in that browser also?

sherlock23

sherlock23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah, the problem started several weeks ago, when I mostly used IE. But it started to get annoying, so I switched to Firefox to see if that made any difference, but it didn't. I downloaded the most recent version of windows media player, as files associated with it seemed to be causing the most problem, but that didn't help either. Maybe I need to reinstall the media player?

I am not sure at this point. I will try to reinstall my browser(s) tomorrow if I have some free time. Thanks again for all of the help!

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yeah, maybe a reinstallation of the media player. It actually wouldnt hurt and it would rule it out as being screwed up. It s weird that when you read a certain type of file that problem occurs.

sherlock23

sherlock23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
How can I uninstall/Reinstall Windows Media Player? Hopefully that doesn't sound too ridiculous, but I am not sure how to go about doing it. I tried to do a software restore by clicking help and support > restore software, but the WMP was not on the list. I also looked at the "add/remove programs" list, but saw nothing.

Thanks!

sherlock23

sherlock23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Didn't get a response the first time, so I am posting again to try and bump this to the top. Hopefully someone can give me a hand.