Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Old Hard Drive New Motherboard and CPU

• Please log in to reply

windowtintman

windowtintman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thinking of upgrading my motherboard and cpu. I want to keep my current win 7 configuration (as close as possible).

Can I just replace my motherboard and cpu and then plug in my hard drive and boot up as I do now? I realize Win 7 mightask me to re-activate but is that all? Is it do-able? :)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Nope, that is not all. You will need to run, as a minimum, a Windows repair. If your Win7 cd is OEM or a Recovery/Restore cd, it won't work at all as there is no "Repair" option in the Recovery/Restore dvd's and the OEM dvd is forever married to the original system and changing the motherboard constitutes a "New" system.

Murray

windowtintman

windowtintman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
What if I replace the original board with an exact replacement? Will it work then?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you have to keep both, you are no longer upgrading anything. Might as well keep what you have.

Is this the same computer you are referring to in THIS THREAD?

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 17 May 2010 - 07:20 AM.

windowtintman

windowtintman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes. This thing won't even boot into the bios anymore. I thought about just replacing the MB and see if that helps. I really like the machine. I can get a new exact MB and if need be, a new AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad Core Processor too for under $ 200.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If the mobo remains the same, then Microsoft's EULA would allow the upgrade/replacement. That being said, as your Win7 is an upgrade, you may not have the option with it to run a "repair" which you may need to do in order to get Windows to recognize everything again. "May" is the operative word there.

Murray

windowtintman

windowtintman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Gotcha. So I guess the answer is that it IS possible but not guaranteed to work.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Very possible and probable, but no guarantees.

Murray

windowtintman

windowtintman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for your help. Awesome!