Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Internet/Firewall settings trouble

• Please log in to reply

inDistress

inDistress

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, so I was trying to install the WoW Trial a couple days ago, and whenever I open the download client/wizard, I receive this message: "Failed to read the information from the internet. Close all other applications and try again." I initially thought something was wrong with the WoW servers and what-not, but then I tried to access Skype to screen capture with a friend who is experiencing a similar problem. Skype successfully downloaded, but has yet to connect to the internet.

What I've tried:

* Adding a rule to allow the program.
* Turning off Windows Firewall.
* Editing the "hosts" file in System32>etc
* Running as Administrator
* Safe Mode

Also, it's not that the internet is down or anything, as for I am asking this from my Internet Explorer browser.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Could be a malware issue, preventing you from accessing certain sites. Try going through the malware cleaning guide link from my signature and see if that works. If not, make a post in the malware forum so you get a clean bill of health.