Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop won't boot up but I can get on line

• Please log in to reply

tuxedobob

tuxedobob

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm wigging out. My computer was running really slow after I connected my old ipod to itunes. The ipod has been a little "dodgy" lately. so I used ATF to clean my computer up however right afterwards I couldn't get my computer to run properly. I have a compaq system that runs Windows XP.
What's happening is that it boots up really slowly, eventually it shows up the background to my desktop but the icons & taskbar don't show up. I ran task manager and was able to get firefox to run by creating a new task.

Anything that someone could help me on this will be really, really appreciated.

All the best
Bob

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
In Task Manager, create a new task:

explorer.exe

Then try a System Restore back to a date before the problem started:

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

tuxedobob

tuxedobob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks so much. I tried that but to no avail. I restarted and hit f10 which put me onto recovery mode. That seems to have worked except it now thinks it's 2004, so I have to update everything from windows xp to my antivirus. Aghhhhhhh

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
After the recovery did you make sure the time and date is set for the present time?

tuxedobob

tuxedobob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks everyone, here's where I am right now. I am doing the disc recovery which set me back to Sept 2004. I'm now in the process of updating windows XP which is taking forever. On the plus side my computer is running substantially quicker, on the downside ...well its taking a long time to do all the security updates. So far we're at 9 of 63, long process.

Again, thanks for all your help. If anyone has any ideas of how to speed this process up please don't hold back.

All the best

Bob