Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply

cw871

cw871

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So my comp keeps restarting itself in the middle of me using it. I'll reply with whatever info is needed. Thanks!

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
cw871-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Please include the following information in your next reply:
  • The make and model of your computer.
  • The size of your hard drive, and the amount of free space left on it.
  • The amount of RAM on your computer.
  • Information on your processor, including make and speed.

Also, are you doing anything in particular when you are using it, or are the reboots random?

Summer6

Summer6

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, I just found some information for you, and you can have a check.

Are you able to boot into the OS? If yes then at least your “Restart Switch ” isn’t getting short. But could be a super sensitive switch or a bad power switch too which creates the problem.
Now check if your computer is set to standby/sleep after certain time. Maybe it has problems going to sleep and can’t wake up, or restarts upon awaking. Disable this in your OS as well as in the BIOS (if there is an option).
If above two are working then its time to check the power supply. Here goes a small intro of how the power supply works.

If the voltage from the wall outlet or from within the power supply [faulty power supply] falls outside the tolerances required by the computer, the computer will reboot. This happens because the power supply constantly sends the motherboard a power-good signal, for example, if the power supply cannot maintain outputs that are within tolerance, the power-good signal is withdrawn and forces the system to reset. The system will not restart until the power-good signal returns. The power-good signal may be absent for a second or less, but that will still force the computer to reset.

This point has to do with proper power being supplied.
Check your wall socket for proper voltage. If you have the computer hooked up to the same line that goes to heavy power draw devices, such as an airconditioner, microwave oven and so on, does your system reboot when one of these devices is running? If so, you may need to change the outlet that you use or may need to run a new line to your computer, dedicated to the computer.
You may also refer to this link: http://www.computerk...restarting.com/

cw871

cw871

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HP Pavilion a510n

107 GB HD; 48.7 GB used

448 MB of Ram

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

Edited by cw871, 17 May 2010 - 02:29 AM.

cw871

cw871

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Accidentally double posted

Edited by cw871, 17 May 2010 - 02:24 AM.

cw871

cw871

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi, I just found some information for you, and you can have a check.

Are you able to boot into the OS? If yes then at least your “Restart Switch ” isn’t getting short. But could be a super sensitive switch or a bad power switch too which creates the problem.
Now check if your computer is set to standby/sleep after certain time. Maybe it has problems going to sleep and can’t wake up, or restarts upon awaking. Disable this in your OS as well as in the BIOS (if there is an option).
If above two are working then its time to check the power supply. Here goes a small intro of how the power supply works.

If the voltage from the wall outlet or from within the power supply [faulty power supply] falls outside the tolerances required by the computer, the computer will reboot. This happens because the power supply constantly sends the motherboard a power-good signal, for example, if the power supply cannot maintain outputs that are within tolerance, the power-good signal is withdrawn and forces the system to reset. The system will not restart until the power-good signal returns. The power-good signal may be absent for a second or less, but that will still force the computer to reset.

This point has to do with proper power being supplied.
Check your wall socket for proper voltage. If you have the computer hooked up to the same line that goes to heavy power draw devices, such as an airconditioner, microwave oven and so on, does your system reboot when one of these devices is running? If so, you may need to change the outlet that you use or may need to run a new line to your computer, dedicated to the computer.
You may also refer to this link: http://www.computerk...restarting.com/

Yeah I'm pretty sure none of that is contributing to the problem. The thing is I've had my computer hooked up the same way for quite some time now and have had no problems. I haven't messed with any of the power settings. I appreciate the info though!

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
cw871-

Thanks for the info. Let's see if you're system is running too hot. Often, random shutdowns will happen because your system is overheating and trying to protect itself.
  • Download Speedfan.
  • Install and run it. Once it's running, take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
  • To take a screenshot press Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key.
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint.
  • Press CTRL+V to paste the contents of the screenshot into the paint workspace.
  • Go to File > Save As.
  • Save the file as a JPEG to your desktop.
Please attach the screenshot to your next reply.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for xp or any software just prior to the problem...

cw871

cw871

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok...and no I didn't add any new hard or software.

Attached Thumbnails

• SF.JPG

Edited by cw871, 18 May 2010 - 05:13 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
somethings appears to be running hot but speedfan is not telling us what it is so go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Happyrock did you see the -12v rail. Looks like it is almost dead.

cw871

cw871

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok. thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Everest.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Happyrock did you see the -12v rail. Looks like it is almost dead.

I know but after about 3 hours of mindnumbing research I can't find any motherboard component that requires -12V...it may have had some use waaaay back when they first came out with the ATX standard and so the PSU makers still supply it but I can not find a use for it...
with that said the +12V is low and the cpu fan is really low too

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm cpu fan running that slow I would suspect a heating problem.

cw871

cw871

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
so do you guys know what might be the cause? maybe a virus? isn't this a common problem?