Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multi processor boards

• Please log in to reply

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
i was wondering if there were motherboards out there that support more than one processor, not a processor with multiple cores? i guess i don't see how having two logical processors is better than two physical ones except to reduce heat and power consumption. i also wondered if two boards could be used to power one system if there aren't multiple processor boards.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There are such beasts.
They're called server boards.
No, they're not cheap, in some cases they are painfully expensive.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and they're REALLY fun when you've got multiple-multi-core processors in them... i've got access to a server that has 6 Xeon X7560s in it (that's 6 X 8 cores, effectively 48 processors in one machine)...it's REALLY nice

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Do they have HyperThreading as well? :)

There are boards out there, I believe EVGA had one available although I can't seem to find it right now.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Yeah I was pretty sure EVGA did have one Troy, I think it was some form of X58 Classified board?