Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death/Registry error

• Please log in to reply

mindydee113

mindydee113

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I know there is a long list of blue screen stop codes in the forum, but I cannot seem to find one to match my particular stop code. :) There are some that match the first sequence of numbers but that is all. There are 5 sequences of numbers and I cannot seem to find any stop code that matches all 5 sequences. I don't know if this matters, or if it is only the original first sequence of numbers that matter. :) Anyways....major dilemma! :) I cannot get my daughter's laptop to do anything. I cannot get into safe mode. I put in the operating system CD and it will not let me go to the recovery console to do a repair. (I'm not sure what codes to type in to do a repair in the first place! lol) I even tried a clean install, and that wont work either. :) Everything that I try brings me back to that same blue screen stop code, which is:

STOP: 0X00000051 (0X00000003, 0X00000001, 0X00003000, 0XE10F3030)

I am being told that this is some form of registry error & to try going into BIOS and disabling caching and showing. I was able to get into BIOS. That is the one and only screen I can actually get to, but I cannot find caching and shadowing anywhere and I looked everywhere possible in the BIOS screen. I tried to look up how to disable caching and shadowing on the internet but found many different answers, none that helped. Does anybody know what this stop code is trying to tell me and how to fix it? An answer in plain English would be nice, as I don't understand lots of the "tech talk". :) I do allot of reading and am trying to learn my way around windows, but I am by no means advanced at repair in any way! Is there a certain disk I need to buy to do this repair? I am hoping I do not have to take it to somebody else (who knows what they are doing) and get charged a fortune. The computer in question is a Compaq Presario R3000, running on Windows XP. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day! :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Explanation of BSOS:

0x00000051: REGISTRY_ERROR
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
This indicates a Registry or Configuration Manager problem. An I/O error may have occurred while the Registry was trying to read one of its files (caused by hardware or file system problems). This message might also appear due to a memory management error (more common in earlier versions of Windows NT).

Try the following:

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

Contact Microsoft Product Support Services for help with curing the corruption in the registry.

After the registry is cured, you can install the hotfix that is provided in this article to avoid such corruption in the future.

Note If you just install the hotfix but do not have the registry cured, you will still received the "Stop 0x00000051" error when you back up the registry.
Back to the top
Service Pack Information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
260910 (http://support.micro...b/260910/EN-US/ ) How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack
Back to the top
Hotfix Information
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.

If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.

Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.micro...tus/?ws=support (http://support.micro...tus/?ws=support)
Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language. The English version of this fix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.

Date Time Version Size File name
---------------------------------------------------------
11-16-2002 08:55 5.0.2195.6131 1,666,944 Ntoskrnl.exe

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can also try to do a restore back to a day or so prior to the registry being corrupted using the Recovery Console.

If you have your Windows XP disk
  • Insert your Windows XP disk into your computer and reboot
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in to the operating system to be repaired type the number corresponding to that operating system (usually 1).
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.
When you see the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt continue to Section 3 ("System Restore")

If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk

• Please create a new folder on your hard drive called RecoveryDisk
  • Download recovery_console_cd.zip and unzip it to the newly created RecoveryDisk folder.
  • Download the correct floppy disk setup package for your operating system from Microsoft and save it to the RecoveryDisk folder;
    XP Home Original: Here
    XP Pro Original: Here
    XP Home SP1: Here
    XP Pro SP1: Here
    XP Home SP2: Here
    XP Pro SP2: Here
  • Rename the downloaded file to Bootdisk.exe
  • Double click the RecoveryCD.bat file and follow the instructions.
  • When you get asked if you want to burn a CD, type y and hit enter.
  • A pop-up should come up, please click on Close
This just created a file called XPRC.ISO which is located in the Recovery Disk folder.

Then please download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.

Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created XPRC.ISO Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn XPRC.ISO to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

Section 3: System Restore

• When you get to the recovery console prompt, type

CD \

• Press Enter
  • Type

cd system~1\_resto~1

• Press Enter
  • Type

dir

• Press Enter
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the Enter key untill you reach the end of the list
  • Type

cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list}

Note: Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
  • Press Enter
  • Type

cd snapshot

• Press Enter
  • Type

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

• Press Enter
  • Type

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

• Press Enter
  • Type

Exit

• Press Enter
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

• Type

CD \

• Press Enter
  • Type

cd windows\system32\config

• Press Enter
  • Type

ren system system.bak

• Press Enter
  • Type

Exit

• Press Enter
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning

If you still cannot get access in anyway to your installation in the recovery console then your SAM database files are corrupt. There is no way you can restore these with the recovery console. You may need to do a fresh install