Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8510p wont start

• Please log in to reply

pat22

pat22

• Pip
  • 5 posts
my dad had this two year old hp compaq 8510p in his drawer for like a year. he said if i could fix it somehow i could keep it :) it wont start but when i plug it in the power light begins flashing very fast (dont know if that means anything). im not sure why but he told me to take out the hard drive and ram and try starting it again. nothing happened. does anybody know what might be wrong with it? or should i sent it to the shop?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi pat22 :)

Just so you know, laptops are difficult to work on due to size and being unable to replace individual components.

What happens whe you turn it on? other than the lights.
Do you get anything on the screen?
Do you get any beeps from it?

Remove the ram and try starting it. With no ram you should get some beeps.

Link to some manuals and guides at HP
How to disassemble

pat22

pat22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi :) thanks for the welcome.

nothing much happened even when i took the ram out i dont think there were any noises.
and nope, the screen is totally black.

but ill try again and thanks for the links :)

pat22

pat22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i went through a step by step troubleshooting program and the thing insists that i try an alternate AC adapter. i might have one..... but if i dont i dont think i wanna go buy one with no guarantee that it will start working

pat22

pat22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
fixed it! old ac adapter musta been bad..... but im still having electrical problems:

http://www.geekstogo...ge-t277197.html