Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

WarrenH

WarrenH

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello,

Got the Blue Screen of Death about 3 weeks ago. Was sent here from Malware forum. Emeraldnzl helped clean out the computer. Removed some adware, Banker Trojan and 2 SDBots. Logs running clean now. But when I normal boot, Intel graphic messed up as well as wallpaper and icons. When Windows starts, about one-quarter of the time the keyboard is disabled even in safe mode. In every normal boot the computer screen flashes black constantly. Graphics so messed up, it makes machine unusable in normal boot. Having to boot to safe mode everytime just to operate it. Just a heads up, uninstalled Mcafee to try to re-install it but can't re-install in safe mode. Also tried to put Microsoft Security Service on as just a temporary but it too will not load in safe mode. So I'm presently running without a firewall or real-time virus scanning on that machine. Also noticed yesterday that my printer was disabled from this machine, even though the software is still on it.

Link to Malware forum post:

http://www.geekstogo...en-t275894.html

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would recommend a repair install.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
emeraldnzl says you don't have a xp cd
try sfc /scannow...

since you dont have a xp cd that its going to ask for...
click on Start... then Run
type in regedit and press enter

Navigate to the following key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.
you want ... SourcePath

It has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now reboot your computer and try sfc /scannow...
click on start...run...type in cmd...press enter...type sfc /scannow...press enter

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thank you for your reply happyrock,

Went to change sourcepath but found it already said C:\. Ran sfc /scannow. Got the following statement.

"Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.]."

Do I need to be connected to the internet or something?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start...run...type in services.msc...press enter...
scroll down to remote procedure call...right click on it then click on properties...set it to automatic and start the service...then try running sfc /scannow again
you may need to reboot...

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Went to remote procedure call and clicked on properties. Already set to automatic and listed service as started already. So when I tried sfc /scannow got same error message.

By the way, I contacted dell today to try to get the XP CD. They haven't got back to me yet.

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I received the XP operating disk from Dell. Am prepared to do a repair install if that is the best option. I've copied most of my files from the C:\ drive. Was recommended to del /a /f %windir%\system32\undo_guimode.txt in command prompt. Got a message saying it couldn't find that file to delete it. Also made a copy of WPA.DBL from system32 and tried to copy WPA.BAK but I couldn't find it. Am I okay to proceed with the repair install?

Any advise appreciated. This is over my head.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just go ahead with the repair install...don't worry about reactivating unless you changed the mobo

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'm running the repair install. (By the way still getting the flashing screen while I'm doing it. Sometimes more frequently than other times.)

Got Copy Error message:

"Setup cannot copy the file fastprox.dl_."

"Ensure that the disk labeled 'Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD' is in the drive selected below, or provide the location where the file can be found. Copy files from: D:\i386"

Options are Retry, Cancel and Browse... What should I do? I keep hitting retry and the error reappears. I took the disk out and put it back in and got the message again.

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
By the way, just checked the disk on my kid's computer and the file is there. When I click on browse in the installation, it opens a window and fastprox is there. I click to open it and it goes back to the error message. (Interestingly, the screen has not flashed while I'm sitting in limbo waiting to find out what to do.)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
disconnect everything from the computer except the monitor...keyboard and mouse...
boot into the bios and load the safe or default settings (sometimes F5 but read the screen to be sure) then save the settings (usually F10 but read the screen to be sure)
reboot and try the install again...if it hits something it can't load hit cancel and continue on...keep a log of anything it won't find....if you have to cancel to many things the repair install may not work...but at this point it will not hurt to try...

Edited by happyrock, 30 May 2010 - 06:46 AM.

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I reboot the computer while I'm still in Windows installation and its looking for that file?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no ...if your still setting on the same screen click on cancel to continue...if /when you get to the end of the repair install it won't boot into windows normally because it had to many could not find messages...the reboot into the bios and set it to default or safe then try the install again

WarrenH

WarrenH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Okay. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Need help here. Finished that initial repair install and had 55 files it couldn't copy. Rebooted and was still messed up so I tried to reboot to bios. Hit F2 (Setup) and got the blue screen (I assume this is the BIOS). My options are:
System (with sub-options System Info, Processor Info, Memory Info, Date/Time, Boot Sequence),
Drives (with sub-options Diskette Drive, Drive 0:SATA-0, Drive 1:SATA-2, Drive 2:PATA-0, Drive 3:PATA-1, SATA Operation),
Onboard Devices (with sub-options Integrated NIC, Integrated Audio, USB Controller, LPT Port Mode, LPT Port Address, LPT Port DMA, Serial Port #1, PS/2 Mouse Port),
Video (with sub-options Primary Video, Video Memory Size),
Performance (with sub-options Hyper-Threading, HDD Acoustic Mode),
Security (with sub-options Admin password, System Password, Password Changes),
Power Management (with sub-options AC Recovery, Auto Power On, AutoPower Time, Suspend Mode),
Maintenance (with sub-options Load Defaults, Event Log),
and POST Behavior (with sub-options Fast Boot, Numblock Key, OS Install, POST Hotkeys, Keyboard Errors).

By the way under POST Behavior-OS Install it says "This field determines maximum amount of system memory available to the operating system. Some operating systems will not complete installation with more than 2 GB of system memory. (I have 3.) Off= All of system memory is available. On=Maximum available memory is 256 MB. The factory default setting is Off.

Can you give me further instructions? I'm stumpted. Have disconnected everything but monitor, keyboard and mouse.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Happyrock wants you to load the default settings and then try the repair again.

Maintenance (with sub-options Load Defaults, Event Log),