Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to Remove Large File/Download folder is gone

• Please log in to reply

smluvr

smluvr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I defrag. my system about once every two months and let Disk Cleanup remove the old stuff to make more room. I only have 31% left to work with on my system. I work with a lot of graphics so I bought an external 500 GB expansion dr. to store all of my graphics, photos etc. Once everything was transferred I figured I would have about maybe 35-40% space extra. I was still at 31% and discovered that 3 files, from I-Tunes, at some point in the last couple of days had downloaded onto my system. (About one year ago or more my i-tunes kept trying to download 3 HD shows I knew I did not want on my computer. I already had the regular versions. It was something new they were offering, anyhow, I kept tell the program to delete it every time I started up i-tunes)
Here is the rub. When I defraged my system yesterday I discovered these files and that they could not be degragmented. Right at 5GB worth. When I tried to find the file to see about removing them I cannot find the downloads folder they are suppose to be in. I can see all of the music, but I can see no videos. I see no download folders for i-tunes. I am following the path that the defragmentor gave me in the detailed notes. Also, even If I see the videos can they be removed? Will that help make more room on my HD?
I hope you (someone) can tell me how to fix this if there is a way.

(As an aside, I also have not been able to update my i-tunes.)

HELP, smluvr

My system information

Dell Dimension 8300, windows XP
5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 282.46 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.83 GB

Advertisements

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
firs to of all you are going to have to cancel Itunes fromj runninga t startup so to do this
click start/run type in this
msconfig then hit enter

then when it comes up find the startup tab and click it then find itunes and uncheck it
then click apply then ok then restart
once the machine comes back up find the default directory where the downloads go it should be something like c.docsand settings/mydoc/username/mydocs/downlaods or even itunes /downlaods if you have to use the file names to find the rihght direcotry
then use highlight and delete them
then empty the recycle bin
then run defrag to get the space back to the front of the drive
then after al this go ahead and find the newest version of itunes for xp and install it it will overwrite the old version
then go back to msconfig and recheck itunes
f then reboot again and it should all be fine

smluvr

smluvr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you, I will try this when I get home. :)

smluvr

smluvr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

firs to of all you are going to have to cancel Itunes fromj runninga t startup so to do this
click start/run type in this
msconfig then hit enter

then when it comes up find the startup tab and click it then find itunes and uncheck it
then click apply then ok then restart
once the machine comes back up find the default directory where the downloads go it should be something like c.docsand settings/mydoc/username/mydocs/downlaods or even itunes /downlaods if you have to use the file names to find the rihght direcotry
then use highlight and delete them
then empty the recycle bin
then run defrag to get the space back to the front of the drive
then after al this go ahead and find the newest version of itunes for xp and install it it will overwrite the old version
then go back to msconfig and recheck itunes
f then reboot again and it should all be fine

Tpneer2

I tried this, still cannot find the download file. The path is ... Documents and Settings\(name)\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Downloads\ (name of file \ download.m4v
I cannot find the iTunes Music "Downloads" folder. I have checked the command that says to show hidden files and folders but still it is not there. Clearly the downloaded file is there somewhere, it shows on the defrag, but I cannot get to it. Not sure what has happened.
Is there a way to get to it without the download folder or can I install the new version of iTunes and will it then show the file?This is so frustrating!

Any info would be much appreciated,
Thanks, smluvr

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
sinc ethe path is there he file is either there and you might be able to access and delete the entire thing by doing this
click start/run/ type in this
cd\
then enter
this will tkae you to an open command prompt of the original directoryu of C dirve
by typin inthe path tothe file with this infornto of it so it looks like this
cd\ enter
then c:\
then enter agin you willthen have the C:
flashing then type this
deltree Documents and Settings\(name)\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Downloads\ (name of file \ download.m4v
then enter if th e file is there it will be deleted
in the caseof this failing jsut exit by clicking the clos efor the window at the top fight and jsut installthe new verson assuming you have killed the program at startup as inthe revious answer