Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Install Windows 7 in used computer

• Please log in to reply

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I purchased a used Optiplex 755 (box only, no discs, etc) on the internet. I have had various problems, which someone on here greatly helped me with, and thru them found out that Windows 7 on this computer is not genuine. Since I do not have a disc, and it's obvious I neeed to purchase a valid copy, how do I go about doing this? Also, I prefer Windows XP, and would rather purchase it, if it is still available. Can in install XP over 7?

Advertisements

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Yes you can still purchase genuine copies of Windows XP. You can buy them on Ebay quite easily if you are an Ebay shopper like myself. Or you can purchase it through Amazon or even Microsoft (make sure you don't get a 64bit, I think the Optiplex has a 32 bit processor). Once you have the disk you will want to boot the system with the disk in your cd drive. Follow the instructions on reformatting and then partition you hard drive to install a clean copy of the operating system (this will erase everything on the hard drive so make sure you have backed up anything valuable onto an external source).

Edited by dhitchner, 17 May 2010 - 06:07 PM.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thanks for the info! I will be researching to find the best deal on XP.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
How old is the Optiplex? It probably does support x64 since that is dependent on the chip and pretty much every chip made in the past couple years can support it.

XP licenses are pretty cheap now.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The Service Tag on the Optiplex shows it as still being under warranty on DELL's website, but I do not have the name & address it is listed under. It is also supposed to have XP PRO installed. Can someone check this out for me and let me know if I can possible revert back to XP PRO? The SERVICE TAG is 6S25BG1 & this is the info from DELL:

System Summary

Service Tag: 6S25BG1 Change Service Tag
System Type: OptiPlex 755
Ship Date: 5/14/2008
Dell IBU: Americas

Quantity Parts # Part Description

1 HP340 Processor, E2180, 2.0, 1MB Pentium Conroe, M0
1 MM934 INSTRUCTION..., DEVIATE-TO-MCSF-L5.5, Pentium M Dothan, 2GHZ, 2 MEGB, 400FSB...
1 5120P Cord, Power, 125V, 6Feet, SJT..., Unshielded
1 YK181 Guide, Product, Information Client, DAO/BCC
1 C831D Kit, Software, Powerdvd, 7.0 Digital Video Disk Drive 7.0-02
1 DJ331 Keyboard, 104, Universal Serial Bus, United States, Entry Liteon, Black
1 YH933 Mouse, Universal Serial Bus 2BTN, Lead Free, Entry, Primax Electronics Ltd, Black
2 WM551 Dual In-line Memory Module 512, 667M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
1 RX073 Kit, Software, Overpack, WXPPSP2 Compact Diskette W Documentation, English
1 RU772 Assembly, Digital Video Disk Drive, 8, 12.7, Serial ATA..., SLCY, TEAC...
1 HY281 Hard Drive, 80G, S2, 7.2K, 8M Lead Free, SGT-NH
1 WT143 ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., MATRIX CYPHER SMALL FORM FACTOR..., Pentium M Dothan, 2GHZ, 2 MEGB, 400FSB..., PWA INTEGRATED..., SS...
1 JP911 Assembly, Heatsink, Shroud Mainstream, MATRIX CYPHER SMALL FORM FACTOR..., V2
1 TJ886 Assembly, Panel, Filler, 3.5inch Form Factor, Black, Matrix Cypher Small Form Factor, OPERATE OR OPERATING...

The computer turns off occassionally - and boots right back up. Don't know if this has anything to do with it having Windows 7 on it.

Edited by Mary Poppins, 19 May 2010 - 08:51 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Usually on the side of a desktop system like Dell there is a sticker on the side that indicates what was the original OS installed along with the registration number.
Since this system was bought used the registration number will do you no good as it is probably registered to the original owner. If you are indeed going to purchase a new OS disk with the key code then it really does not matter if it is Pro or Home version. The OS would be registered to you then.
The original OS installed was either XP (Home or Pro) or Vista (Home, Ultimate or Pro) 32 or 64 bit version. Your options are open but in your case I would suggest XP. Which version is your decision but depending on what you intend to use the system for should weigh in your decision. If for general home use and internet the Home would be the best.
If for business applications and important data for work then Pro would be the way to go.
Most drivers can be found on Dells website and if needed we can assist in pointing you to the right place.

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 May 2010 - 08:57 AM.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes, there is a Windows XP PRO DELL sticker on the side with a Product Key. I don't guess this info could help me get an XP disc from DELL?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Probably not since it is registered to the original owner. You can however probably purchase the original recovery disk for less then 50 USD in most cases. This would include the OS and the drivers originally loaded on your system. Explain to them you bought the system used and want to reload everything factory defaults but no disks were included when you purchased the system. They should be able to supply a new key then with the disks.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
DELL allowed me to transfer the warranty over, so now I need to explain to them that I need the original recovery disk to restore to factory defaults?

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes like i said they may charge a minimal price for them but you will have everything that would have come with the system originally.

Advertisements

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thank you so much for the info! DELL is sending me an XP PRO disk free of charge. Now, I can get 7 off and hopefully can do the install of XP PRO without any problems.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is so great to hear. How about the drivers for your system? Are they including a disk for them also? If not we can hopefully find all them for you with a little searching on their site. Let me know and I will try to find it for you quickly.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The guy said they would send me all the disks (3 total) with Drivers, XP PRO, and something else...I forget what it was....something to do with DELL, maybe. He said all I had to do was insert the XP PRO disk and it would walk me thru formatting Drive C: and then installation. Does this sound right?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes that is correct, booting the computer off the CD will wipe the Windows 7 installation and install XP fresh.

Most likely the third disc would be third-party applications, such as Dell's recommendations (i.e. what they get paid to install on your new computer) on "useful" programs you may not ever need... :) If this is the case I recommend not to install that disc! :)

But kudos to Dell for transferring warranty and sending out discs... :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree with Troy.. I would install OS and drivers and nothing more. The rest is normally app's that you wouldn't use and\or Dell's own software.
I give them a big thank you for taking care of you on this.