Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Desktop just disappears

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello Tech Support:

I uploaded 3 SNAPSHOTS that I kept getting after rebooting my PC. Five (5) different times between yesterday and today, I get this Blue screen. Yesterday, my AVAST program sent a warning of a possible Virus I picked up. I will deal with that from the Malware Forum, but would like to hopefully get this issue finished first.

Below is what the Blue screen said:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If this is the 1st time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly reinstalled. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Then it talks about using Safe Mode to remove or disable any components.

Then it gave this information:

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x86FF92B0, 0x86FF9424, 0x805FB146)

Then it says:

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Physical memory dump complete.

Okay, this morning after I started my PC, after coming up on my Desktop, the same box was sitting there.

I'm running WinXP-2002. The Programs and Tools that I have on my PC are:

AVAST;
Ad-Aware
Malwarebytes; and
ATF and TFC Tools

Thank U !!!

simplee55 :)

Edited by simplee55, 18 May 2010 - 02:11 AM.

Advertisements

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

It's a little confusing -- but read this and it should explain it:

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

If Windows does not see a previous installation -- you will not be given the opportunity to "repair" (reinstall) it. Keep in mind this is different than loading the recovery console.

If you can access the recovery console you should try such commands as

chkdsk /r

and

fixboot

If you choose to enter setup and do a reinstall -- but do not see that option -- Windows is going to format the drive and whatever is there would be lost.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello pcs365_2

I have no idea what your telling me. Because you have never worked with me, I need to tell you that I'm not that deep when it comes to digging deep into the system, OMG no way. You will have to walk with me step by step with this one.

But before we go there, are you saying that I have to uninstall and reinstall XP, based on everything I posted. Is XP going bad so to speak, and if so, what would cause that to happen ???

And after reading the page from the Link you provided, I'm even more confused and afraid, actually to do anything from this point on.

If you break it down, and I mean, break it down for me, then I can move on.

Thank U !!!

simplee :)

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
simplee55-

If you suspect you have a problem with malware, that needs to get cleaned up before we can tackle any problems here. I suggest taking a look at the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system. If that doesn't solve your problem, post a new thread in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to this thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Post the minidump files in your next post and then visit the Malware forum as instructed.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello FNP and diabillic:

FNP, I have already posted in the Virus forum and am waiting for someone to pick me up on the possible Virus, haven't gotten any response yet. And I already did every thing that the Self Help Guide said to do, and I did every thing I knew to do before I came to the Self Help Guide. What I think is, that I have picked up something, rather a Virus or Malware, but this is not the 1st time that this Blue screen has come up. It happened oh say about 5 months ago, and it hadn't happened since, so I thought whatever caused it, just went away, I guess not, but I didn't have any Virus' and Malware at that time either.

So will have to wait and see what the Virus experts say.

diabillic:

I don't know what minidump files are, and where to find them, can you point me in that direction ???

Thank U !!!

simplee

Edited by simplee55, 18 May 2010 - 09:14 AM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Since you have posted in the Malware forum, I'm going to ask that we hold off on offering advice until your system has been cleared by the staff. After that, if you're still having problems, we'll take a look here. :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Alright, I will get back here as soon as I know something and every thing is working properly.

Thank U 4 your help !!!

simplee

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
No problem. I will continue to monitor your topic. :)

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hi FNP:

Can you point me in the direction of where I can make a Donation.

Also, I thought I was almost down over at the Virus, Malware and Trojan forum, but something new has popped up, so will see you as soon as I'm clean.

simplee66

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
simplee55-

I've looked through your thread with Essexboy, and I think your problems might be related to something other than malware. However, I am still going to ask that we wait until you have been officially cleared by the malware removal staff before we can begin working here.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Yes I know, I'm just waiting on Essexboy to respond to my post to see what is going on now with these freeze ups, I hope it's nothing too major.

Also, where can I make Donations ????

simplee

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Check out this page for information on donations.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
hello janson:

Listen, I have no idea how to read or fix a Registry. I have always been told that the GEEKS do not recommend nor do they fix Registries.

Do you have any other suggestions, and I will follow.

simplee55

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Using any type of registry cleaning program is generally not advised. Using these programs often does more harm than good and generally causes problems within the registry cleaner.

Check out this link for a more detailed look at why we recommend inexperienced users don't alter their registry.