Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need some pros and cons about my project!

• Please log in to reply

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey guys!!!! :)

Under a module of mine in this course, my team and I have to create a product that makes use of Microcontroller applications to the daily world. Hence, my team and I have designed on a new enhanced product which is the "I extinguisher".

Our idea is that when a fire has started, people will have to break the emergency glass for the keys to use the fire extinguisher. Usually most fire extinguishers are sealed in a case which has a key that is breakable to allow access of the fire extinguisher. At this point of time, we know that many people tend to panic during this time and they have to break the glass for the key before using the fire extinguisher. Our team has decided that instead of wasting precious time, we decided to build a sensor in the sense that whenever a fire breaks out, the sensor will automatically detect and opens the case for usage of fire extinguishers

This solution will allow easy access to fire extinguishers and most small fires can be put out easily through this convenience.

Our team would like to seek everyone's advice on whether this enhancement has its pros and cons.

Feel free to give any comments!!!! :)

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Got a Bic? Get a FREE fire extinguisher! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like a decent plan, though i don't know that it would require a micro-controller. could just be a magnetically locked box that's tied to a relay on the fire alarm panel. most fire alarm systems have a "shunt" relay built in that's designed to signal an access control system (automatic door locks) to open all locked doors if the alarm is tripped. of course each extinguisher box could have it's own controller to manage these signals from the fire panel...or if this is for a home or other system that's not managed from a central panel, then the individual boxes could act as their own decision makers, if they detect a fire, then open the box...however this may lead to issues of having to wait for the fire to actually surround the extinguisher before the box opens, making it useless (this depends on how you trigger the controller to open the box. is it a remote sensor or what?)

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey guys !!! Thanks for the reply :)

To SpywareDr: Wat do you mean by Bic? xD

To dsenette:

The sensor is separated from the fire extinguisher box.
For example it can be found in a classroom or along corridors. When a fire breaks out, the detector detects smoke as well as heat from the fire and then send a signal to the controller. The controller will then send a signal to the extinguisher box to unlock it, allowing access to the fire extinguisher found inside. In addition to that there will also be a first aid kit in the extinguisher box.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

To SpywareDr: Wat do you mean by Bic? xD

Posted Image

:)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you're basically making a fire alarm.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
SpywareDr: LOL!!!!

dsenette: Its like a fire alarm and unlocking the doors for the fire extinguisher at the same time when a fire has been detected by the sensor

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

dsenette: Its like a fire alarm and unlocking the doors for the fire extinguisher at the same time when a fire has been detected by the sensor

if you're going to be making the whole fire alarm and not just tying into an output/sensor on an existing system then i think the project should be worthwhile for your class.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Why thank you dsenette :)

Apparently when we showed our design concepts our teacher keeps saying that there is lack of background research sigh

:)