Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus Eee pc Netbook

• Please log in to reply

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
We did what you said and the second one worked. I now have the computer on, but the USB is still in so wonder what the next step would be. Sorry if im writing this in the wrong box again, but not sure where to go. Thankyou

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
If the second one worked, you're going to want to:
  • Take the USB drive out
  • Go back into the BIOS and change the boot order so your computer will boot from the hard drive
  • Reboot and enjoy your computer again :)

Let me know if you're having any more trouble.

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Really sorry but not understanding the bit about finding the BIOS and the stage that follows. Thankyou

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Not a problem. I assumed that since you did it before it would be easier, but no worries.

When we wanted the computer to boot from the USB key, we went in and changed some settings as I listed below:

Great, now that you've got the USB, you need to change the BIOS settings so that your computer will recognize your USB and load from there, instead of where Windows XP is installed.

When you first turn on the computer, you'll see a screen with the manufacturer's logo (e.g., Asus) as well as small text that says Press XX to enter setup (it won't actually say XX- every computer manufacturer is different. I think Asus is the delete key). You want to enter setup, then navigate through the menus until you find an option to change the boot device priority. This setting tells the computer where to begin loading. Set the USB device to the highest priority, then exit and save change. Reboot the computer, and the system should load from the USB device.

Now you need to do the opposite of what you've done to make sure that your computer will boot from the hard drive.
  • When the computer starts, tap the delete key to launch the setup menu.
  • Go to boot device priority (or something similar, depending on how your computer is set up).
  • Go to Hard Disk Drives.
  • Change the order so that USB:PNY USB 2.0 FD is not the first- your hard drive should be first.
After that, try rebooting your computer (it should boot from the hard drive, and if the USB flash drive worked, you should be good to go).

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello, we have followed your last request and altered the two around in the BIOS, but NTLDR is still missing?

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
If that's the case, it looks like the USB drive hasn't fixed it yet. I would go back to the flash drive and make sure you try all ten items listed. Remember: Reorder the BIOS (make sure the flash drive is inserted), reboot and try each step.

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello, I have gone through every number from 1 - 10 and the only number that works is 2. But when we go into the BIOS and change around so that the hard drive is ontop, it does not work.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
You said that the second option works. What kind of message (if any) does it give you that tells you it works.

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It does not give me a message, it just starts loading and comes onto the desktop

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
So you're saying that when you boot from the flash drive and use the second option, the computer boots and works. but when you try and boot straight from the hard drive, you still get the NTLDR is missing message?

Let's take a look at the partitioning on your computer.
  • Go to Start > Run.
  • Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter.
  • On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see a visual depiction of the partitions on your hard drive. I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
  • To take a screenshot press Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key.
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint.
  • Press CTRL+V to paste the contents of the screenshot into the paint workspace.
  • Go to File > Save As.
  • Save the file as a JPEG to your desktop.
Please attach the screenshot to your next reply.

Advertisements

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
There isn't a run option on the asus netbook??

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Open the task manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL, then press new task. Type devmgmt.msc and continue with the steps listed.

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok really sorry about this but...followed your steps thank you but we have no disk management on the left hand side?

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
EDIT: I made a slight mistake in my directions. I'm trying to look at how your hard drive is set up. Run compmgmt.msc, select disk management from the left-hand menu and take a screenshot. Post that in your next reply.

Edited by FNP, 19 May 2010 - 01:48 PM.

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Here is the screenshot of what you requested. Thankyou

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png