Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus Eee pc Netbook

• Please log in to reply

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
In Disk Management, right-click on the C: partition and select 'mark partition as active'.

Remove the USB drive, reboot and see if that works (you may need to change the BIOS settings again to boot from the hard drive).

Advertisements

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The mark partition as active is not highlighted so not allowing me to click it.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
In Windows, open up a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd.exe) (you'll have to go through task manager if you don't have a Run option in the Start Menu) and type: chkdsk /r. Reboot the computer (you'll need to to run the scan). Be patient as the scan runs- it can take a while.

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
When i type in the chkdsk /r. and press ok, a box appears and then just disappears when i press enter.So I am unable to boot and run the scan at this stage (unless of course I am missing the bleeding obvious). Sorry for being a pain.Ok I will have to log off for tonight and start to get ready for bed. Hope very much we can resume tomorrow, if of course you are allowed to continue with me for so long. But if you are I would just like to say how very much we appreciate your help.
Thank you and hope to be in touch with you tomorrrow.

Edited by summer2010, 19 May 2010 - 03:10 PM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
summer2010-

At this point we have a few options:
  • You can continue to boot into Windows through the USB flash drive. If you don't mind having that plugged in everywhere you go, that will work. You can also using the USB drive to boot, then taking it out once Windows has booted (if you don't mind using the USB drive to boot every time).
  • You can try making a backup of all your data and reformatting your system. This will reset your computer back to factory default, which should solve your problem. This, however, is a bit of a last resort.
  • The third option is to make a Recovery Console which we can use to fix your problems. You can try making a bootable USB, similar to what we've already done, by following the links below. The YouTube video gives good step-by-step instructions on how to create the disk; once you've done that, we'll walk through fixing your computer.
YouTube Video
Download Link

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. :)

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi, thankyou very much for getting back to me again and i think at this stage the best option would be to continue using the USB. But if i carry on doing this can you still save things normally, will it cause any lasting damage to the netbook and can i still do the normal things or will i be limited. Thankyou

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
To be honest, from a knowledge perspective at this point we're both in the same boat. I've never used this solution, so I don't know much more than you do.

If you are able to boot into Windows, you still should be able to save files, access the internet, and do everything you would normally do on the netbook. The only difference is that you are using the USB flash drive to get into Windows. There's nothing about the situation to indicate that any lasting damage to the netbook itself. And you should be able to do things 'normally'- if you're having any trouble feel free to let me know and we'll take a look at it. :)

Once you've completely booted into Windows, you can try taking the USB flash drive out of the computer and seeing how it functions. It's worth trying, but if you're comfortable and things are working, don't push yourself. :)

I'm here if you need anything.

summer2010

summer2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you ever so much for all your help in this matter, we do really appreciate it, and find you are one clever young man.
May I keep you as a friend and ask many more questions? (even though I never know whether to quote, edit or fast reply) lol.....
Is there anyway I could leave you feedback or a donation?
Thank you once again.

Edited by summer2010, 20 May 2010 - 12:28 PM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
I'm very glad to have helped out, and I appreciate your thanks.

Yes, you may ask many more questions. If they're not related to this topic, go ahead and make a new thread. A volunteer will be along to assist you. :)

You can check out this link for donation information.

hamncheese

hamncheese

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello

Newcomer here on GeeksToGo
This thread has saved me from the exact same problem im having on my Asus EEE.
Thank you so much to FNP for taking the time making the guide above, my problem is solved !

One question tough, although that my XP can now load, everytime i restart the system, i kept getting the startup selection screen :

1ST TRY THIS
2ND TRY THIS

I already change the timing so the selection would go straight to option no 1, with a wait time of only 1 second

My question is :
Can we remove the startup selection message ?
just like it was before the error occured

Many Thanks for anyone who is willing to help on this matter :)

Regards
Erik

Advertisements

hamncheese

hamncheese

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello again

Im sorry for the double post, this second post are an attempt to try and help about the problem above.
My situation currently :
  • I can boot into my asus EEE xp, without using the USB stick.
  • @summer2010 , have u tried copying the 3 files from the USB (boot.ini , ntldr , and ntdetect.com) into your drive C ?
  • Those 3 files are probably why u cant boot without the USB stick.

hope it helps :)

toei

toei

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi i just one give extra help here if somebody need it,

when you install win xp you need delete all partitions, i have one asus eee pc900a

winxp installation have that option .

after that you can boot perfectly to windows

btw take half day find it ! :)

anrecal

anrecal

• Pip
  • 4 posts

It's not a problem. And no, you don't have to be technical to participate here. If you have any questions, it's always best to stop and ask. :)

For future reference it's known as a USB flash drive. USB stands for Universal Serial Bus- it's a kind of connection port used on newer computers. But 'stick' works too. :)

So let's try and make this a little more simple. I'll give you step-by-step directions. What we're going to do it put some information on a USB flash drive, then tell the computer to go to the flash drive first, instead of the hard drive. The info on the flash drive will fix the hard drive, and the 'NTLDR is missing' problem will be fixed.

• On a working computer, click here to download the files you will need.
  • Right-click on the download folder and select 'extract all'. Save it to a location you can easily access, like the Desktop.
  • Insert your USB flash drive into the working computer (remove any other USB sticks, and be sure there isn't anything on the USB stick that you want since we are about to erase it).
  • Double-click HPUSBFW.EXE in the ntldrusb folder.
  • Check Create a DOS startup disk and using DOS system files located at. Then press the grey button with the "..."
  • A box will come up asking you which folder to select, point it to the dos system files folder.
  • Press OK; press Start; press Yes. Let it run for a few minutes till a new box comes up, then Press OK, then Close.
  • Open the putonusb folder. Copy all the files and paste them onto the USB flash drive.
  • Remove the USB drive and place it in the netbook.
  • You will see the Windows 98 screen pop up for a second, then you will see a black screen with white letters prompting you to "replace boot sector of the drive C: (y/n)". Press the Y key.
  • It will go to a C:\ prompt, reboot the computer by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
  • Make sure the BIOS (the part that decides where to boot from) is set to boot from a USB flash drive. If you don't know how to do this, click here.
  • From there, go back to this site and follow the directions to fix NTLDR using this method.
Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you. :)

Thank you and how kind of you to write that all down for me. Going to have our evening meal and then I am getting down to doing this. I will put stick into my laptop and save everything from there first. Then I will follow your step by step instructions and will be keeping my fingers crossed at every stage.
I will be back in touch as soon as, hopefully with good news. If this works is there anyway I can leave a feedback for you, or do you do anykind of small donations ect.
Thank you for now
K

Hello! I have the same problem. i followed those instructions until i reached "A box will come up asking you which folder to select, point it to the dos system files folder. and i clicked okay and start but after clicking it, this one appears, THE SPECIFIED DEVICE IS CURRENTLY USED BY OTHER APPLICATIONS. PLEASE CLOSE THEM BEFORE FORMATTING THE DEVICE." I checked if there is any files opened but there's none. what should i do? Please help me,i desperately need my Asus Netbook. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I attached a Prt scn of my window. Please do help me.

anrecal

anrecal

• Pip
  • 4 posts

It's not a problem. And no, you don't have to be technical to participate here. If you have any questions, it's always best to stop and ask. :)

For future reference it's known as a USB flash drive. USB stands for Universal Serial Bus- it's a kind of connection port used on newer computers. But 'stick' works too. :)

So let's try and make this a little more simple. I'll give you step-by-step directions. What we're going to do it put some information on a USB flash drive, then tell the computer to go to the flash drive first, instead of the hard drive. The info on the flash drive will fix the hard drive, and the 'NTLDR is missing' problem will be fixed.

• On a working computer, click here to download the files you will need.
  • Right-click on the download folder and select 'extract all'. Save it to a location you can easily access, like the Desktop.
  • Insert your USB flash drive into the working computer (remove any other USB sticks, and be sure there isn't anything on the USB stick that you want since we are about to erase it).
  • Double-click HPUSBFW.EXE in the ntldrusb folder.
  • Check Create a DOS startup disk and using DOS system files located at. Then press the grey button with the "..."
  • A box will come up asking you which folder to select, point it to the dos system files folder.
  • Press OK; press Start; press Yes. Let it run for a few minutes till a new box comes up, then Press OK, then Close.
  • Open the putonusb folder. Copy all the files and paste them onto the USB flash drive.
  • Remove the USB drive and place it in the netbook.
  • You will see the Windows 98 screen pop up for a second, then you will see a black screen with white letters prompting you to "replace boot sector of the drive C: (y/n)". Press the Y key.
  • It will go to a C:\ prompt, reboot the computer by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
  • Make sure the BIOS (the part that decides where to boot from) is set to boot from a USB flash drive. If you don't know how to do this, click here.
  • From there, go back to this site and follow the directions to fix NTLDR using this method.
Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you. :)

Thank you and how kind of you to write that all down for me. Going to have our evening meal and then I am getting down to doing this. I will put stick into my laptop and save everything from there first. Then I will follow your step by step instructions and will be keeping my fingers crossed at every stage.
I will be back in touch as soon as, hopefully with good news. If this works is there anyway I can leave a feedback for you, or do you do anykind of small donations ect.
Thank you for now
K

Hello! I have the same problem. i followed those instructions until i reached "A box will come up asking you which folder to select, point it to the dos system files folder. and i clicked okay and start but after clicking it, this one appears, THE SPECIFIED DEVICE IS CURRENTLY USED BY OTHER APPLICATIONS. PLEASE CLOSE THEM BEFORE FORMATTING THE DEVICE." I checked if there is any files opened but there's none. what should i do? Please help me,i desperately need my Asus Netbook. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I attached a Prt scn of my window. Please do help me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

anrecal

anrecal

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Guys, please help. i do have the same situation, i followed all the instructions till i reached this level, "A box will come up asking you which folder to select, point it to the dos system files folder.
Press OK; press Start; " After i click start this one appears. (Pls see attached photo) What should i do? I desperately need my netbook. Please help me. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg