Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Video Card Help!

• Please log in to reply

Punkrocker9385

Punkrocker9385

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok heres there deal, here recently im starting to upgrade my PC, honestly rebuild a whole new one, for FFXIV and other new games coming out soon. This week i bought and received a new Vid card which is the GeForce GTX 470.

My old Vid card was GeForce 9600gt 512mb which ran games very well on mid to high settings. I just installed the GTX 470 yesterday, and did Driver Sweep and installed the latest drivers from Nvidia. Ive tested out a few games, such as WoW and Counter-Strike source. The Frame Rate im getting is pretty low, around 70-120ish in CS:S with about 6-8 ppl in the server which i could get that much if not better on my 9600gt. The thing is, the precision tool is saying my GPU is only using 20-30%, ive read around on some forums with other ppl having that problem and they seem to think their CPUs are bottle necking the video card. Anyone else ever have this problem?

My specs right now are:

OS - Windows 7 32bit
Video - GeForce GTX 470 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 Newegg Link
CPU - AMD Atlon 64 x2 6000+ ~3.0GHz
Ram - 3gb, think its Kingston DDR2 800
PS - 1000watt Newegg Link
The Motherboard is still what came with the pre built PC which the specs are here Gateway 5656

Is it my CPU/Motherboard thats making my GPU only run at 20-30% or something else? And is it safe to use it like that, or should i use my old vid card till i upgrade my CPU/MBO?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

*edit* I put my old Vid card back in to test with it, and im getting equal if not better FPS than the GTX 470 in CS:S so im thinking maybe my CPU/MBO cant handle the GTX 470

Advertisements

daren5

daren5

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Ok heres there deal, here recently im starting to upgrade my PC, honestly rebuild a whole new one, for FFXIV and other new games coming out soon. This week i bought and received a new Vid card which is the GeForce GTX 470.

My old Vid card was GeForce 9600gt 512mb which ran games very well on mid to high settings. I just installed the GTX 470 yesterday, and did Driver Sweep and installed the latest drivers from Nvidia. Ive tested out a few games, such as WoW and Counter-Strike source. The Frame Rate im getting is pretty low, around 70-120ish in CS:S with about 6-8 ppl in the server which i could get that much if not better on my 9600gt. The thing is, the precision tool is saying my GPU is only using 20-30%, ive read around on some forums with other ppl having that problem and they seem to think their CPUs are bottle necking the video card. Anyone else ever have this problem?

My specs right now are:

OS - Windows 7 32bit
Video - GeForce GTX 470 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 Newegg Link
CPU - AMD Atlon 64 x2 6000+ ~3.0GHz
Ram - 3gb, think its Kingston DDR2 800
PS - 1000watt Newegg Link
The Motherboard is still what came with the pre built PC which the specs are here Gateway 5656

Is it my CPU/Motherboard thats making my GPU only run at 20-30% or something else? And is it safe to use it like that, or should i use my old vid card till i upgrade my CPU/MBO?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

*edit* I put my old Vid card back in to test with it, and im getting equal if not better FPS than the GTX 470 in CS:S so im thinking maybe my CPU/MBO cant handle the GTX 470

which driver do you curruntly have installed? the forceware 197.55 whql is the current driver specificly for the 400 series cards.

Punkrocker9385

Punkrocker9385

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ive used the most up to date driver through Nvidias Driver finder. Im thinking my Mobo/CPU just cant handle the card lol