Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32/Alcan.A Worm!P2P

• Please log in to reply

summers

summers

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So i managed to get myself the Win32/Alcan.A worm! - blumin limewire!!
Anyway, my anti-virus(AVG 7) protection wasn't working at the time. once i realise i had a virus i soon managed to get it working again and it found over 6000 infected files! - bugger! it delt with them swiftly, but now my computer seems to be running slower than normal and i have still lost all the disk space on my hard drive which the virus took! where has that gone???
So the virus is no longer running, but are the files still on my computer? If so how do i go about cleaning them? Any special tools to remove them?

Any help would be much appreciate, thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
How much space are we talking about?

Did you empty your quaranteen or virus vault?

As for the slowness....are you sure you got it all?

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

summers

summers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi gerryf, thanks 4 the quick reply. i have posted my hijack log in the malware section, would you be able to take a look at it please. thanks

steveml

steveml

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

edited for content.

Cheers,
Ste.

Edited by coachwife6, 29 June 2005 - 06:43 AM.

steveml

steveml

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I posted a solution that works - which has now been edited (because it offered a solution).

I didn't realise that this particular forum was an Ad-Aware promotion forum. Perhaps we do things differently in the UK, i.e. help people solve their problems with legitimate solutions, rather than remove sensible solutions from people offering their help, simply because it may conflict with a program somebody wishes to promote, or may step on someone's toes who thought they had a better solution. I have no allegiance to any program, and use those programs that solve my problems. The solution did not require the user to have extensive computer knowledge, didn't require listing of a hijack-this log, didn't require use of Ad-Aware, nor did it require any registry editing - it simply worked.

Geez, if I had known the forum worked like this, I wouldn't have bothered registering. Thanks for wasting my time.

Sorry for trying to be of some help, and sorry to those people that are still pulling their hair out trying to remove this worm, or those who have removed it via other means, and are still left with a slow-running comp. It may be an idea for the experts to investigate a broader spectrum of other malware/spyware programs so they too can provide up-to date working solutions. I presume that will not include the experts from the Ad-Aware forum though! ;¬)

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
steveml,
this forum is not for Ad-aware.
Ad-aware forum is.
Almost all of your posts to this board has been advertising of Xoftspy.
Sure,
I'm not an expert or an full Staff Member yet,
but would like to ask you to respect Staff here. Everyone is working hard.
Nobody has forced you to register to this site,
you may also ask Admin to delete your account if you wish.
Do not come and complain us about wasting your time.
Also,
if you have not read the rules of this forum,
they quite clearly indicate that non-staff member's are not allowed to post someones topic if it's about malware.

Thank you and have a nice day.

- Rawe :tazz:

steveml

steveml

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Why has this become a program advertising issue?????? I don't sell anything, and I'm certainly not advertising anything...apart from a solution.

Geez...this sounds like the old flame wars....PC vs Mac...please grow up, those days are gone.

Why should I not be able to mention a program if it solves the users problem...isn't that what a help forum is about? I thought my initial post was deleted because it was in the wrong forum. Seems to me like I also posted to the un-helpful forum.

All malware programs have their uses - I haven't tried any yet that solved everything. I personally couldn't care less which program is used as long as it rectifies a problem.

"non-staff member's are not allowed to post someones topic if it's about malware".

Is that comment included in case someone provides a viable solution and you don't???

"Everyone is working hard."

Not surprising when you are so suspicious of people trying to help - for fear that they may be 'advertising' something. Carry on using a sledgehammer to break walnut-sized problems. Thank goodness I live in the UK - where logic appears to still exist.

"I'm not an expert or an full Staff Member yet, but would like to ask you to respect Staff here..."

Sure...I entirely agree...perhaps the staff should also respect the users who are experiencing problems, rather than deleting viable solutions - whichever program the poster may be referring to, when offering a workable solution. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous. Imagine an XP Users forum, whereby the users couldn't mention that they were struggling with Photoshop, because it was created by Adobe. Perhaps you now realise how incredible this forum would appear to lateral-thinking people.

"Do not come and complain to us about wasting your time."

I'm not only complaining about wasting my time, my problem has been solved. I'm more concerned for the other users who are not being given solutions when they are available. That is underhand by anyone's standards!!!

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Your main complaint seems to be that your advice was deleted. On this forum, we do not allow people to post malware related advice who have not been trained.

The program you are recommending is one of the well known rogue antispyware programs. Recently, they have been working to repair their tattered image, but I still do not trust them and we do not recommend them.

All malware programs have their uses

This statement is completely incorrect. Rogue antispyware programs can cause huge problems. First, most of them cost money, so a user goes out and pays for a service that doesnt work. Then it gives them a false sense of security, thinking they are protected, they do normal things on the web without having good protection. We all know what happens when you surf without good protection.

Is that comment included in case someone provides a viable solution and you don't???

Yes. If you want to post help with malware issues, you need to go through our training facility and become a staff member.

Sure...I entirely agree...perhaps the staff should also respect the users who are experiencing problems, rather than deleting viable solutions

I have almost 2000 posts here teaching people how to deal with malware and helping users, I would say that we have the utmost empathy and respect toward people with problems. However, people going around posting multiple times with a simple fix that may or may not work does not help us in our fight against malware. It only slows us down because we then have to defend the rules of this forum which should have been read in the first place.

Your analogy about adobe products in a windows forum is ridiculous at best. If you came here with a problem with xoftspy, we wouldnt turn a cold shoulder to you, we would recommend that you remove it and we would give you some other great free options. If you came here with an infection that xsoftspy supposedly removes, we would remove it in another way, likely with another free antispyware program without such a dark past.

We give solutions when they are available. We do this with hundreds of users every single day. Our trained staff helps thousands of people with malware removal issues. Your comment that eludes to us not being concerned about our users is insulting and just plain wrong.

ScHwErV :tazz: