Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BlueScreen and Restarting

• Please log in to reply

cshoaf09

cshoaf09

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello.

I got tired of searching other forums and searching for the answer elsewhere. I finally decided to ask questions specific to my situation.

Recently (the past few days) my computer has started "crashing" I would call it. I get the blue screen and the system restarts just about every 5-10 minutes, but only in normal mode. In safe mode, everything works fine. Once it restarts, a message appears saying "windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Details are:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C000001D
BCP2: FFFFF88000000000
BCP3: FFFFF88004086160
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\051810-29967-01.dmp
C:\Users\Chelsee\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-52041-0.sysdata.xml

And obviously I have NO idea what any of this means. I located the files that "help describe the problem" and deleted them and rebooted, but again the problem persisted and the files returned. I do not remember downloading any new software or anything that other sites have suggested. I went to my manufacturers website to see if there were any new drivers to be installed. Although I didn't see anything new, I'm still not sure what all drivers are needed anyways. I am beyond stressed trying to figure out what all of this means. I have attempted to restore and checked for viruses. Still nothing! Please help! But before anyone responds, please remember i do not understand a lot of computer words and lingo. Please explain in a way I can understand. Thank you!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

When you get the blue screen, it is normal for there to also be a system dump generated.

That you get this in safe mode could be indicative of a hardware problem, but try some of the suggestions below.

You got bugcheck 0x3b - that's SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. The exception referenced is STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION - "Illegal Instruction" - "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction."

The illegal instruction could be caused by a corrupted image (executable module) on disk, or memory corruption. Consider running chkdsk on your drives, as well as SFC /SCANNOW.

General guidance for dealing with bluescreens:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions. Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily good memory - it just hasn't failed a test. Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date, as well as ensuring that you're using the latest BIOS.

It can be helpful to use Driver Verifier. To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings->Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem. In the event that the system does not boot completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload the dump to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

Can you upload the contents of c:\windows\minidump to your SkyDrive and provide a link?

cshoaf09

cshoaf09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

==================================================
Dump File : 051810-29967-01.dmp
Crash Time : 5/18/2010 7:44:02 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c000001d
Parameter 2 : fffff880`00000000
Parameter 3 : fffff880`04086160
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+70600
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16539 (win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\051810-29967-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600

Dump File : 042910-26426-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/29/2010 9:34:08 PM
Parameter 3 : fffff880`07884160
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+70600
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\042910-26426-01.dmp

Dump File : 122809-30763-01.dmp
Crash Time : 12/28/2009 3:08:38 PM
Parameter 3 : fffff880`09038150
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+71f00
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\122809-30763-01.dmp

cshoaf09

cshoaf09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi,

When you get the blue screen, it is normal for there to also be a system dump generated.

That you get this in safe mode could be indicative of a hardware problem, but try some of the suggestions below.

You got bugcheck 0x3b - that's SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. The exception referenced is STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION - "Illegal Instruction" - "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction."

The illegal instruction could be caused by a corrupted image (executable module) on disk, or memory corruption. Consider running chkdsk on your drives, as well as SFC /SCANNOW.

General guidance for dealing with bluescreens:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions. Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily good memory - it just hasn't failed a test. Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date, as well as ensuring that you're using the latest BIOS.

It can be helpful to use Driver Verifier. To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings->Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem. In the event that the system does not boot completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload the dump to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

Can you upload the contents of c:\windows\minidump to your SkyDrive and provide a link?

I appreciate you trying to help, but like I said, I'm not very good with all this computer stuff. And I have NO idea what you just told me to do. I dont know how to do half that stuff. And Everything is FINE in safe mode.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Hi Broni,

Eager-to-learn nerd that I am, can you explain what in the BlueScreenView report makes you think that there is an infection? I'm just curious. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not 100% sure, but crashes with kernel files (ntoskrnl.exe) listed as the cause often are caused by some kind of infection, so that would be the very first option to confirm, or eliminate.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Dziekuje :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hahaha...any Polish connections?

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
My father's father emigrated to Buffalo, NY, from Warsaw. He taught me a few words here and there :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Wow! What a coincidence :)

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
:) I've always wanted to learn the language, but I ended up taking French in high school. Maybe I'll get around to it this summer...

Anyway, back on topic... :)