Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows software raid transfer

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I have a partition that is made of of two stripped discs that I use for storage etc. The stripping is done through windows without any third party software. I'm quite experienced with hardware raids and have worked with them quite a bit but this is the first time I've had to mess with a windows one. there's no option to backup the meta data or anything of the sort in the windows options so if I reinstall windows (on a separate drive NOT RAID) is windows 7 going to recognize it? So can I reinstall without being screwed or am I going to have to do a full backup of my raid? (please no "raid is not backup" and "backup everything always" lectures I'm not an idiot).

thanks, Preston

oh and just so noone says "you shouldn't have to reinstall windows if you're as smart as I am" it's a XP->upgrade to Vista->upgrade to 7 and I've noticed that after every upgrade it gets exponentially more buggy there's just lots of small, independent problems and I don't want to individually troubleshoot and fix every single one, so I'm taking the noobs way out.

Advertisements