Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDD advice

• Please log in to reply

gracerren

gracerren

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
i want to replace my HDD with a new disk drive. Im a newbie in this and I want some advice before I buy a new one.

how do i know if the HDD is compatible for my computer?
my current drive is SAMSUNG SV4002H (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
and i want to buy more larger drives.

could someone give me an advice considering this issue..

thankss....

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Ultra-ATA or Pata drives are also known as Ide Drives.

If you have XP with service pack 1 and up the size of your drive is not an issue. If your XP as no service pack then the maximum will be 127go.

5400rpm is a low speed unless your computer is a labtop, if its a dektop try to buy a 7200rpm one.

Ultra-ATA/100 (the 100) is the tranfer rate of the drive, the earlier drives were Ultra-ATA/33 and /66 and you have the fastest /133

Also some Brand have longuer warranties then others, so it is something to be considered.

Lost my Lynx

Lost my Lynx

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Looked on Newegg for a drive of your specs, found a nice 320GB Western Digital 7200 RPM.
It's a Ultra-ATA 100 though, is that a problem?
Anyway Link-o-doodle
Hope it's some help.
EDIT: Priced quite cheap $60.99 or there's a 160 GB version for $49.99

Edited by Lost my Lynx, 19 May 2010 - 11:31 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Should work fine. You also should notice a performance boost with that drive.

gracerren

gracerren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thanks to all that reply, I consider your advice..

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hard drive buying tips
Interface
Speed
Price range

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Hard drive buying tips
Interface
Speed
Price range

What about them?

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
When purchasing a hard disk drive, it is important to understand and verify the hard disk drive is suitable for your uses and has or does not have the options you may or may not need.

Interface
When looking to purchase a hard disk drive the first and foremost important consideration is the Interface the hard disk drive uses to communicate with the computer.
IDE/ATAPI/ATA One of the more commonly found hard disk drives and used with IBM compatible computers, IDE is generally an easy to install and customize interface. If considering purchasing an IDE/ATAPI/ATA hard disk drive, verify that there are available locations for the drive to be connected to.
SCSI Another commonly used interface. The SCSI interface is generally a faster solution when compared to IDE/ATAPI; however, in some cases, they can be more difficult to install.
External (USB / Fire wire / Parallel)Several external solutions are also available; these include but are not limited to USB Hard disk drive, Fire wire Hard disk drive and Parallel Hard disk drive. When considering an external hard disk drive, it is important to look at the speed difference for transferring data to and from the hard disk drive.

Speed
It is also important to look at the transfer rates of the hard disk drive; long transfer rates can considerably slow down your computer when transferring larger files. When looking at the hard disk drive, look for specifications listing the RPM.
Other considerations
Below is a listing of some other important considerations to look at when purchasing a computer hard disk drive:
Warranty How long is the warranty and what does it cover.
Support Is the technical support number a free number is it open 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Included components Verify that the hard disk drive that you are purchasing comes with the needed components to install the drive. Generally, hard disk drives included from the manufacturer will include an IDE / ATA/66-100 Cable, standard drive rails, instructions and diskette for installation.

When purchasing an ATA/66 drive, the computer must support ATA66 as well as have an ATA/66 cable in order to support the transfer rate of 66 MB per second. If the computer does not have this cable, the drive will automatically be decreased to a transfer rate of 33 MB per second.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Much better... Don't forget to quote your source:

http://www.computerh...m/btips/hdd.htm