Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard shuts down in BIOS

• Please log in to reply

jdhayes86

jdhayes86

• Pip
  • 4 posts
the story is that i let a friend use my desktop for a few weeks and she managed to get the 'Security Tool' bug on my XP desktop. The computer is custom built, but i know that the mother board brand is ASUS (could get more info if you need it). Anyway, i just decided to wipe the whole thing out and start fresh. I got a hold of a boot disk, and i set up BIOS to boot from disk upon startup. But i still need to press a key. The keyboard works in the BIOS set up, then turns off at the boot screen, then comes back on after the system boots from the hard drive. I tried to double check that the keyboard did turn off (i turned on the caps lock and watched the light turn on, then off, then back on).

I found a similar thread on this site http://www.geekstogo...CD-t199700.html

but i could not find the same thing with my board.

I am kind of new at this (one of the reasons why i want to start from scratch is so i can learn how to put a computer together), so thank you for all of your help.

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, the model number of your board would be helpfull. Has your keyboard any ports on it..usb/sound.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I got a hold of a boot disk, and i set up BIOS to boot from disk upon startup. But i still need to press a key.

That's how it is supposed to be!

I am assuming you mean you set the BIOS so the boot order puts the CD before the HD so you can boot to the installation CD. Right?

The way it works, or is supposed to work when you have the CD before the HD is that you will be prompted to press a key in order to boot to the CD. If you don't press a key, the system times out and moves to the next boot device. Same thing as when you enter the BIOS Setup Menu - press a key and you get in the menu, let it time out and the boot process moves on.

jdhayes86

jdhayes86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, i miss spoke earlier - long day at work - the mother board is an ABIT IC7-G, not Asus. As for the needing to hit a key to boot form CD, i knew that was the case, i was just tired and my fingers did not type what i was thinking. I want to thank you for your fast replies.

And the keyboard does not have any ports on it - i bumbed it from a friend because of its simplicity

Edited by jdhayes86, 19 May 2010 - 08:14 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So is there a problem? Whether Abit or Asus, the boot order is set and works the same way.

jdhayes86

jdhayes86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the problem comes when i need to press the key to start the cd boot. the keyboard is unresponsive. It works before, and right after, but not during.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

the problem comes when i need to press the key to start the cd boot. the keyboard is unresponsive.

That might point to a USB problem. Do you have a PS/2 keyboard you can try? Those are the one with the small round connector.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, if you go into BIOS / INTERGRATED PERIPHERALS / ON CHIP PCI DEVICE do you have USB controller. if you do what have you got and what settings

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Try to go into your BIOS and under ONCHIP PCI DEVICE go to:

USB Keyboard Support Via:
This item allows you to select [BIOS] for using USB keyboard in DOS environment, or [OS] in OS environment

If you have it on OS change it to BIOS or vice versa to see if it makes a difference.

jdhayes86

jdhayes86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I could not find anyone with the PS/2 keyboard, so i followed the suggestions about changing the usb status in BIOS, and it worked. Thanks to all of you, i really appreciate your fast and helpful advice!!!! :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Glad you got it to work and thanks for the followup.

Good catch, Alzeimer.