Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Flashing screen

• Please log in to reply

real2real

real2real

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi
I have the same problem as other post on this topic, I have tried another monitor with the same results. It does not do it when res is set to 800 x 600 at either 16 or 32 bits. As soon as you go above this resolution it starts flashing at about 5 second rate. It seems to do it pretty well from cold, well about 3-4 minutes, could it be a heatsink problem on cpu or graphics chip or is this a known Dell Dimension 3000 problem. I am trying to lay my hands on a pci graphics card to eliminate that possibility.
rgds
Andy

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, have you run the DELL diagnostics utility ?.

boot the comp.

at the DELL logo press F12

in the BOOT DEVICE LIST select BOOT TO UTILITY PARTITION

at the MAIN MENU....express test (about 20 mins.)
extended test (about 1 hr +)

real2real

real2real

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Good point, forgot about that, will do when get home tonight, thanks..

real2real

real2real

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Right, tried that, no problems showing up.
Bios is a bit limited, graphics adapter is set to auto, when I tried a pci card, nethr would work, how do I disable on-board card?

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, just checked out your bios setup. it dosen't appear that you disable intergrated video but you select primary video. Have you tried uninstalling the intel video driver & rebooting. You could download the intel driver from DELL & reinstall it

real2real

real2real

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, will try later, I did the driver bit last night, tried roll back as well, no difference, I will try and get the pci card to work again. I am wondering if it is a hardware fault in the graphics processor as disabling some of the direct x and 3d options appeared to slow the flashing down to perhaps once a minute.
Thanks.

real2real

real2real

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Success!
It was monitor, 1st monitor tried was a HANNS-G, flashing still, tried another one, same make, still flashing, put a 3rd one on, good old tube type no flashing.
The people who own the monitors and computer are heavy smokers, so I stripped them and inside they were covered in nicotine. Cleaned with pcb cleaner and sprayed with conformal coating, all now working ok!
Big sign on door now..NO SMOKING !
Thanks for previous advice.
Andy