Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recovery Cd's will not load

• Please log in to reply

gudgeek

gudgeek

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, I will move it elsewhere if I need to.

I have a HP Pavillion a210n, recently it crashed and upon restarting Windows XP would not boot. I was receiving messages saying that Windows files were missing or corrupted.

I could not do a system recovery from the system or go into safe mode. I used an older computer to go online and order the proper recovery Cd's from "RestoreDisks.com" and tried to reload the original software.(They were not available from the HP website)

If I use the CD ROM tray the system begins to load six disks, but when reaching the very end it crashes and I get a blue screen.

There is another option that says load directly from CD/DVD, but when the DVD tray opens and I insert the first CD, it does nothing but make a noise and will not begin.

I realize that I am probably not relating this very well, and I apologize. I am not very computer savvy beyond basic problems. :)

I went to the RestoreDisks.com website and found no place to ask for support. Any help or insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, gudgeek :)

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have you changed any of the hardware in the machine?

gudgeek

gudgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Have you changed any of the hardware in the machine?

Not recently, two years ago upgraded adding 256 to memory and also I replaced a burned out modem. The system worked completely fine after those changes.

I just looked at some notes I took while trying to load the recovery disks. These prompts were not necessarily given at the same time of recovery failure.
As I have also tried to load seperately a Windows 2000 Cd to even get it online so I could then use the recovery Cd's with a better chance of success. The Windows 2000 Cd loads but when I restart the computer, just as it begins booting Windows 2000, I get a blue screen with one of the below messages also.

1)***STOP: OXOOOOOOD1(OXOOOOO1F7,OXOOOOOOO1,OX824A9OBD)

2)Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

3)DRIVER IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_

4)***STOP:OXOOOOOOD1 (OXOOOOOOOC,OXOOOOOOO5,OXOOOOOOO1,OXF752AEB)

5)***atipi.sys-Address F7572AEB base at F756BOOO, Datastamp 3b5e3711

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please verify that number 4 is atapi.sys, not atipi.sys.

gudgeek

gudgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Please verify that number 4 is atapi.sys, not atipi.sys.

Yes, my apologies...#4 is in fact atapi.sys, not atipi.sys.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
How many CD's did you get from Restoredisk.com? It sounds like you got multiple.

A restore disk should generally be only 1.
There might be a 2nd for drivers (but these should be part of the restore cd).

When you tried the windows 2000, did you reformat the entire drive?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

How many CD's did you get from Restoredisk.com? It sounds like you got multiple.

Older machines, especially HP, spanned their restores over 3 to 4 discs.

Try wiping out the disk first using something like Fdisk to clean out the disc first then attempt the recovery? Have you ever attempted to do a recovery with these discs before?

gudgeek

gudgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Older machines, especially HP, spanned their restores over 3 to 4 discs.

Try wiping out the disk first using something like Fdisk to clean out the disc first then attempt the recovery? Have you ever attempted to do a recovery with these discs before?

Ty '123Runner', I appreciate anyone trying to help me out here. Yes I did recieve 6 recovery disks in my package from RestoreDisks.com and they seemed to be loading fine right up until the last one was nearly done,then I got hit with the blue screen.

Ty 'diabillic'
Well, that certainly sounds like an idea that may work and thank you for the suggestion 'diabillic'. You have been trying to be so helpful to me and I want you to know that I am extremely grateful to you.

I would be willing to give it a try but in all honesty,it scares the daylights out of me,although the system seems quiet dead now anyway. As I mentioned earlier, I am not very computer savvy beyond most of the basic knowledge that most average people have.

Is this Fdisk scenario a very hard and complex procedure that someone like me will botch up easily or is it pretty straight forward to perform. I really was attached to that old HP computer, it helped me find jobs when I needed it and seemed to always hang tough against virus infections and worms.If I can repair it on my own with these recovery disks and/or another program or disk of some kind, I'm all for it before taking it to a local repairman. (I was quoted a price of over 100 dollars by him as minimum and then no guarantees)

Once again, thank you both for replying to my query. :) :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You can also try Dban (link in my signature)

The idea is to either format it ahead of time (Fdisk) or Dban it with 1's and 0's to completely clean the drive off.
Then try the recovery CD's again.