Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Hevis

Hevis

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello again.

While deleting a virus (which name I can't remember as this was a month ago) I think I have deleted some windows XP boot files. I am not 100% sure that it was me that screwed up the boot as while having the virus windows wouldn't always boot.

What happens when I turn on my computer: the manufacturer logo comes up, after that a few seconds of blank black screen and then computer restarts. So no Windows loading screen. This is different than what I had with the virus.

I've tried to fix the boot first by following this tutorial:
link. It went smooth but this command wouldn't work CHKDSK /R /F. I exited like the tutorial said, but the problem didn't go away.

After that one failed to work I tried the GeekstoGo How to repair Windows XP. The repair went well until the computer rebooted and went to the blue windows installation-looking part. Now it asks for NVidia Network Bus Installation Disc, this wouldn't be a problem if my computers motherboard would have PS2 ports (as USB ports haven't worked after the repair install rebooted), so I have no way to navigate in the installation anymore.

How to continue from here? Should I just shut down the computer, or will it cause even more harm?

Specs:
Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo PI 3830
Videocard : GeForce 9600 GT
Processor : Core 2 Quad Q8200
Memory : 2 x 2048 DDR2
Soundcard : 7.1
Operating system : XP Home Edition SP3

Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Try a boot to Safe Mode - NOT Safe Mode with Networking - Keep tapping F8 on first post screen or beep.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Try a boot to Safe Mode - NOT Safe Mode with Networking - Keep tapping F8 on first post screen or beep.

Thanks for the reply :).

I closed the Windows Repair and rebooted the computer. I got to the safe mode with your instructions but just before it started to load the desktop, there was a pop up saying:

"Windows installation cannot be continued in the safe mode. Installation will now reboot the computer"

I suppose there isn't a way to make the USB ports work in the windows setup? Would it be a possibility to remove the hard drive and place it in to another computer, continuing the repair there? Or would that just screw up all the hardware setups and drivers?

Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is there anything plugged in to the computer. If so disconnect it.
Take out the battery and use only the PSU
Switch off the inbuilt wireless
Try again on Safe Mode

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 May 2010 - 02:27 PM.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the reply,

I think there is a misunderstanding, this is a PC instead of a laptop (which I forgot to mention in the first post, sorry :))

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry about that I never knew there was a Amilo desktop.. I know from a job the other week that the Amilo laptop is a keyboard out job just to put a stick of ram in.
Anyway, do the same please unplug EVERYTHING except keyboard and mouse and try Safe Mode.
If that does not work, do you have the XP CD so we can enter the Recovery Console.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I disconnected everything from the computer except: keyboard (usb), monitor and power cable. This time the keyboards Num Lock light is on, but I cannot do anything with the keyboard. When I was entering Safe mode it wouldn't go very far as the windows installation continued.

I have an XP CD which I slipstreamed to SP3 and the Fujitsu-Siemens Windows XP SP2 Recovery CD.

Should I try the recovery console with these instructions from The Sceptic?

Thanks for your help :)

Gomer30

Gomer30

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for a useful theme. :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This time the keyboards Num Lock light is on, but I cannot do anything
Do you mean the keyboard is NOT working, because the USB sockets are not working, if so how did you get to Safe Mode on F8 before.
I would try first to see if XP will load with this on a floppy if you have a floppy drive or on a CD.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595
If it will not then you will have to go to the Recovery Console.
If the keyboard will work in the Recovery Console run chkdsk as per the attached link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
Another link providing guidance
http://pcsupport.abo.../rconsole_6.htm
See if Windows will then boot normally.
If not go back to Recovery Console and run FixMbr
If that does not work you are left with either the chance of a repair installation as per below link
http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm
OR slave the HDD, backup all your personal data and start again.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 May 2010 - 03:03 PM.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for your help :)

The keyboard is working, as long as the repair installation part begins. Then it stops working.

Anyways, I wouldn't like to question your knowledge but are the first of those links there use able if the repair install isn't finished?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If the repair installation, as against trying to enter Recovery Console has failed to proceed, then it will certainly NOT do any harm to see if XP will boot with the link I sent for the boot disc. This loads the NTLDR and Boot.ini etc and may just work.
It depends on what is stopping windows from loading in the first place.
If that does not work then I suggest you go to the link you mentioned and use a System Restore
Alternatively you may wish to try this, see the link, you will then have access to your files and othe repair possibilities.
The problem I think will still be the USB keyboard. Have you tried, other USB ports for the keyboard.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 May 2010 - 02:37 PM.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi,

Sorry for the late reply.. I've been very busy at work, so I haven't had much time to concentrate on this.

Anyways, I bought a new shiny HD for my computer so that I may use it as my primary hard drive and the other one with the non working windows as a data hard drive.

I suppose there is not much tricks for setting the computer so that it boots from the new HD, just changing the settings from BIOS?