Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help changing a laptop fan

• Please log in to reply

nokiN

nokiN

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a dell inspiron 1501 about 3 years old. The laptop overheats in a matter of minutes. I do have a cooling pad and it works well but the thing is that I think its a hassle to carry a cooling pad. Defeats the purpose of a laptop because its not as portable and its so bulky so I was thinking about taking apart the laptop and changing the fan to a more powerful one. But before I start, how do I tell which fan fits my laptop? or which fan is better than the current fan I have? or which fan is supported by my laptop? and I've read a lot about how I shouldn't take apart my laptop because its extremely dangerous and it ends up destroying my laptop instead of fixing it. Why is this so?

I do have the step by step guide on taking apart the laptop so I think I should be fine. The only thing I need to know is which fan should I buy?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
You probably need to clean the fan and the intake and exhaust ports. Normally the stock fan is sufficient, so if the fan is not dead, it should be ok.

nokiN

nokiN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So in most cases where peoples laptops overheat, it's because their fans, exhaust, etc. are clogged with dust? Why dont people just clean it instead of buying a cooling pad..

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
Because people forget about cleaning. Especially on laptops because of size and difficulty to work on.

They also neglect fans on desktops also.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

So in most cases where peoples laptops overheat, it's because their fans, exhaust, etc. are clogged with dust?

Yes.

Posted Image

They also neglect fans on desktops also.

Dirty PCs: The X-Rated Picture Guide
Posted Image
http://www.theregist...3/ventblockers/