Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Power Jack Replacement?

• Please log in to reply

af21x

af21x

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an Acer Aspire 8920 that recently stopped charging for me. I had been having problems with it for a while (having to wiggle the connection to charge, etc.), and I was already pretty certain the jack needed to be replaced. So when it finally gave out last week I just ordered a new one.

I could probably write for a while and detail a bunch of unnecessary information but suffice it to say I have attempted to solder the new power jack I ordered with the old wire harness that connects with the motherboard and the laptop does not respond at all. I don't know if this is because I did a terrible soldering job (it's ugly but I don't see why it wouldn't conduct), if I used the wrong solder (does it matter?), if the problem wasn't the jack but the harness, the motherboard or the adapter, or if I fried the motherboard because when I opened up the laptop initially I wasn't taking any precautions concerning static.

I suppose what I'm really looking for is advice on how to proceed. I don't actually have access to another adapter or battery to see if the laptop would start up or charge with another power source but if that was the *only* way forward I guess I would have to find a way. How easy is it to screw up the soldering? Am I missing something? Is it easy to wreck a motherboard with static or is that a remote possibility?

Sorry I'm a little lost... that's kind of why I'm here.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
did you do any soldering ON the motherboard? or just to the ends of wires hanging off the board? did you solder the connections backwards?

af21x

af21x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No I did not do any soldering directly on the motherboard just the wires that connect to it. I am also positive I did not solder the connections backwards. I did use quite a bit of solder on each connection though - could resistance be an issue?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it could, or you could have a cold solder joint...where you didn't heat up the wire, and instead heated the solder, basically you end up with a bunch of solder making a hollow case around the wire and not actually touching it, thereby not conducting electricity.

IF possible, i'd try to desolder the connections and try to wire it up temporarily without solder (i don't know what your connection looks like so i can't say if this is possible) and see what happens.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You could have also added so much heat to the wire that it destroyed the cable.
Or with a lot of solder you could be bridging the wires together.