Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DirectWrite error

• Please log in to reply

barb266

barb266

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I recently updated a graphics program, Paint.Net, to the newest version v3.5.5. It installed correctly and worked well in all ways, until I selected the text tool. This automatically causes the program to crash. I have been in the forums at Paint.Net after trying everything I can think of on my own. They say "That the crash log shows that The error code is 0x88985003 and after some digging, that is the DirectWrite error code for File Not Found and that they suspect I have a font that is incorrectly installed or has been deleted improperly (I'm not sure how/why). It's probably whichever font I was trying to use with the text tool." The thing is that all you have to do is select the text tool and the program crashes. I have two other grapic programs and the text tool works great in both of them. I have tried un-installing, rebooting, re-installing, rebooting...I have downloaded and ran the Windows Cleanup Utility program after un-installing the programs. I have deleted two newer fonts I had installed just prior to the upgrade, I have un-installed Microsoft Security Essentials AV program which I had installed just prior to the upgrade. I have un-installed the newest version of Paint.Net and installed older versions that have worked great before. Now they crash the program when the text tool is selected. I have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and it is current and appears to be working correctly, but I re-did the download again in the repair mode just to be sure. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite L305D, Vista Home Premium SP2, 3.00 GB of memory. I am going to try to attach a copy of the crash report.

I have the same fonts, the same anit-virus and the same upgraded Paint.Net v3.5.5 installed on my desktop at home. It all works great. My computer at home is a HP, Vista Home Premium SP2 with only 1.00 GB of memory. Any help or suggestions would really be a great help.

Attached Files

Advertisements

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
OK....3 guys came to my rescue this afternoon at PDN....fixed...YAH!!!

This is all it took:

Here's another thing to try:

Open any folder.

In the top-header of the Windows Explorer window, click on:

Organize > Folder and Search Options > View

Put a tick in:

Show hidden files and folders
---------------

Remove the check mark from:

Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
---------------

Now navigate to, and delete this file.

C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

Reboot the PC, and check whether crashing still happens.