Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue screen stop error messages

• Please log in to reply

mrtops

mrtops

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello There,
I have recently installed Ubuntu 9.1 and am impressed with it.
Although i can no longer get Xp pro to boot up.
On start-up I get the choice as to run Ubuntu or Xp,when keying down to Xp and pressing enter,
I just get a black screen with a flashing cursor.
I have set the bios to boot from cd-rom then Hdd and installed my copy of Xp.
It wont proceed any further than a blue screen
Which says:-
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen,restart your computer.If this screen appears again,
follow these steps.....( obviously I have tried again)

Check for viruses on your computer.Remove the newly installed hard drives or hard drive controller.
Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption,and then retstart.

Tech info

Stop: OxOOOOOO7B (OxF78D663C, OxCOOOOO34, OxOOOOOOOO, OxOOOOOOOO)

Does anyone have any pointers at all as to how I can recover Xp
I have two WDC hard drives one 320gb and one 500gb on my system and they are partioned.

Many thanks MRTOPS

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you use this guide here for the dual boot setup...
did you install ubuntu on the same drive as xp or the other drive...

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

You need to do the following.

1 restart your computer and go to setup(bios) usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd drive.

4 Now save your settings and exit bios.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an insallation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING. and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

mrtops

mrtops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi There,
Thankyou for replying to my query.

I have followed your instructions however I don't get the option to press F8

Windows try's to install and comes up with the error message page that I described earlier

I have set the bios to boot from CD then the HDD.

Many thanks MRTOPS

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,
When you restart your computer it will not give you option to press F8, however you need to keep on pressing F8 when you restart your computer. Please follow the above listed steps.

mrtops

mrtops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi There
I have tried pressing the F8 key but there is no response and windows try's to load files then comes up with the same blue screen and error messages.

Many thanks MRTOPS